picking the right cam.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003, 11:08 AM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

picking the right cam..

does anyone know how to get cam dimentios from comp cams?
i went on there wed site.. found a cam i want.. its the 280 magnum.. but theres no specs.. like i wana at least no where the cam affects the RPM range.. does anyone no of any other sites or anywhere i can get some more info? thanx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2003, 11:28 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

If it's a SBC the 280 magnum is:
230 @ .050 for both I&E Duration
.480 lift.

If it's a BBC:
Same duration.
.520 lift.

I got this out of my Summit mag and it doesn't have a lobe sep. figure. Hope it helps.

I ran the 280 in my BBC. It has a nice rumble at idle, it worked well for me on the street, but did have a little high of an rpm range. I'd say go for it, but I like a cam to sound bumpy.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have ran this grind of camshaft and I believe it sports 280 degrees of duration and around 230 degrees @.050 valve lift. This particular grind on a small block chevy has around .480" valve lift and is ground with 110 degrees of lobe separation angle.
This is a good high performance cam in a small block, but should definitely be used with more stall speed in an automatic equipped vehicle. This cam will produce useable power above 2500 RPM up to around a maximum of around 6200 RPM.
This is a nice sounding cam with a good power range.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:49 PM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Ditto with NAIRB a good street cam with a Holly 300-36 duel plane high rise intake and a Holly 3310 750 with vacuum secondaries.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

sorry guys ya its a small block.. ok so its around 2500-6200 eh.. hmm that might be a bit much for my 4x4.. i got a holley 750 with secondaries.. with a edelbrock performer manifold.. and hooker headers... o ya and a gear drive.. thats all thats done... but i like more low end power.. and i have a 4 speed so i want the lumpies cam i can get! but isnt it the lumpier the cam the more of the higher RPM it effects?? thats what it seems like in the ades i bin reading.. but correct me if im wrong.. but i want for sure a lumpy cam.. thought the 280 would be perfect. but like gt2betubbed said does that mean its not lumpy at all?? thanx
Old 08-01-2003, 08:47 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Trav
sorry guys ya its a small block.. ok so its around 2500-6200 eh.. hmm that might be a bit much for my 4x4.. i got a holley 750 with secondaries.. with a edelbrock performer manifold.. and hooker headers... o ya and a gear drive.. thats all thats done... but i like more low end power.. and i have a 4 speed so i want the lumpies cam i can get! but isnt it the lumpier the cam the more of the higher RPM it effects?? thats what it seems like in the ades i bin reading.. but correct me if im wrong.. but i want for sure a lumpy cam.. thought the 280 would be perfect. but like gt2betubbed said does that mean its not lumpy at all?? thanx
the 280 is a good grind, and it does have a little rumble to it...
Old 08-01-2003, 08:56 AM
junk collector

Those specs are pretty much the same as the cam im running in my 383, I am running a weiand xcelorator intake and a holley 4150 vac seondary with a proform 780 cfm main body. This is all in a mud bogger with a rev man valvebody th350 and a tci super streetfighter convertor. I can agree with the higher rpm manners of this cam becuse mine doesnt really come alive until 2500 plus
rpms.

Heres a link to my cam card if ya wanna check it out.

l8r

-j-rOd

Old 08-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

Hey Trav, what I meant buy my statement was that the cam has a very nice bump to it at idle. Since you're running a 4x4 and worried about low end, just throw in a set of 4.56's (depending on tire height), and you should be able to use the the power pretty well. Trying to get a bumpy cam with low end power is almost impossible, but you could call around and see if someone can do a custom grind for you. I got LAZER CAMS to grind me a cam with 267 dur @ .050 but with a rpm range of 2500-6500 (typically should be around 4000-8000).

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.