picking the right welder - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

picking the right welder

So what would some of you recommend. I am going to buy a Mig welder and was wondering what some of you have or would recommend. I will be using it at home and hope to do everything from body panels to building a trailer. I am looking at a Miller 210. Seems about right for what I would be able to do. I have used the smaller migs before but I don't think it would last with the amount of welding I hope to do.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2004, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Miller 210 would be fine! www.harborfreight.com has a hobart ironman 210 for a little more than a $1000 stay with these two chioces so that you can be assured of getting replacement tips and parts should you need them ?at your local welding supply. another place you might want to check out is www.aws.org -forums-bbsgrandcentral-equipfor sale?
Old 12-31-2004, 02:40 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

speede5

This site has a great search engine and there have been numerous discussions regarding "best welder for the money" etc. You'll get a ton of info just by going to the "search" button at the top of the page and entering "mig welder", "best welder", "buying a welder" etc. etc. Use the search and then if you still have some specific ?????s fire away.

Dewey
Old 12-31-2004, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Lincoln,Miller,Hobart take your pick they are all top notch but I would strongly recommend staying away from the 110 volt machines as they are marginal at best. Also www.jwharris.com/images/twentygauge.pdf Try this stuff you WILL like it!

Last edited by oldred; 12-31-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:31 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

I am very satisfied with my Miller 210 which we use in body and chassis work.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:00 PM
go fast, turn left!

Last photo:

TY guys. I'll do some thread searches later. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2005, 12:15 AM

i have a lincoln sp175 plus which i love. however if i had it to do over again i'd get the miller 210. it's an excellent choice!
Old 01-01-2005, 10:46 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

Ive tried miller, hobart, Hobart is the best welder, I would only recommend hobart. Welds are smooth, when i used it, it felt like i was in control of welder it was so easy to weld with it, I was able to fine tune it and get exact welds that I wanted, with lincoln I had problems fine tuning it, it felt like it was out of gas or wire would feed too fast or something else, I still can weld with it but not as good as with hobart.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

I have a Miller 185(the 210 replaced this model) for approx 4.5 years. I have used it to construct a smoker, barn(with 2 in tubing for the frame) and sheetmetal work on the hot rod. I am a beginner welder. I did not like the Miller gun for the outside work/heavier metals, plus the short lenght. Bought a Tweco 15 footer(love it). How ever, I like the Miller gun when using .023 wire on sheet metal. No down time since I bought it, this includes dragging around a pasture for a year doing the Barn. I have not tried the other's to compare....but I love my Miller and I think the 210 would be a excellent choice. My wife gave me a choice her or the Miller.......I still miss her sometimes.........
Old 01-02-2005, 10:44 AM

guess what guys,
miller owns hobart. hobart is still good stuff but it's really just a low cost alternative to a miller. kind of like plymouth to chrysler.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

Bluechev-It seems to be a common misconception here about miller owning Hobart,not that it really matters but that is nonsense. Horbart and Miller are owned by the same parent company just like chevy and Pontiac are both owned by GM. Hobart is one of the oldest and largest welding suppliers in the world and to say they are ANYONES low cost alternative is just plain ridicules. Hobart makes top of the line welding equipment just like Miller and Lincoln and they are NOT anyones second line! I have made my living with welding machines since 1968 and I have owned all three brands and I can tell you without hesitation that they are all top of the line quality.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldred
Bluechev-It seems to be a common misconception here about miller owning Hobart,not that it really matters but that is nonsense. Horbart and Miller are owned by the same parent company just like chevy and Pontiac are both owned by GM. Hobart is one of the oldest and largest welding suppliers in the world and to say they are ANYONES low cost alternative is just plain ridicules. Hobart makes top of the line welding equipment just like Miller and Lincoln and they are NOT anyones second line! I have made my living with welding machines since 1968 and I have owned all three brands and I can tell you without hesitation that they are all top of the line quality.
OK
Old 01-02-2005, 03:18 PM

oldred, like you i welded proffessionally for many yrs. & used all 3 of the major brands & got good results from them all. whether miller owns hobart or they are both owned by the same parent co. is splitting hairs to me. last year i had to get out of welding due to health reasons. i now work for a welding supply co. i sell both miller & hobart products. any hobart machine will cost less than a comparable miller & they are made with more plastic parts! what else can i say?
Old 01-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

Both outfits are owned by ITW(illinois tool works)neither owns the other but you often hear Miller owns Horbart or Horbart owns Miller depending on who you talk to. What matters here is someone wants advice on which welder to buy and to say that one is an inferior low cost substitute for the other does a disservice to the buyer and a VERY reputable company. If someone gets a good deal on a Hobart MIG welder they can buy with confidence and not worry about having to settle for second best. Hobart machines,like Miller are easy to find parts and service for and feature for feature are priced about the same. My advice would be to check out all three machines, compare features within your price range, dealer location and base your decision on that. BTW the Miller 210 is an excellent choice.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:23 PM

oldred, i agree 100%. however, being a " lower cost alternative" doesn't mean inferior. it just means lower cost.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.