Picking a spray gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Picking a spray gun

after reading all the treads on spray guns, ive gotten a headache. im also in the market of purchasing a spray gun, Im a novice, hobby use. but want to see the quality of the job.
My ques. is, are there any threads where members have posted pics of there paint jobs that they layed with the paint gun they recommend. This would make it alot easier to get an idea of the type of gun you might want to get and justify how much your willing to shell out for. thnx

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 PM

Top of the line

I stopped painting 30+ years ago, but I know the one thing you cannot go cheap is a GOOD gun. I still own a Sharpe Cobalt Blue. They don't make these anymore since the advancement of better guns nowadays. I'm in the market for a new Base and Clear coat. Iwata LPH 400 is at the top of my list and the rest follow. I have visited with local paint shops that do quality work. The common link is Iwata, and some Binks and DevilBiss. But like this site, the selection is endless and you want to get it right once, the first time. I'll keep looking at this thread for some experienced input before I make up my mind too. Good Luck.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Last photo:

S/T .. I am a tourist - that loves finish work?! I have a 'primer gun' - an inexpensive, 1.4 tip, gravity from Harbor Freight. I recently got a 'sprayable filler' gun, 2.3 tip from TP Tools, also pretty inexpensive .. and then a DeVilbiss GFG-670+ gun for the good stuff. (I got it off Ebay saving enough to pay for the filler gun.)

I am hack that has to wait for nice days when the wind, humidity and bugs are down, but there's massive pride in having done it myself.

I prime'd some wheels for my Manx buggy last week. I am trying a new paint that I heard good things about, Transtar. This is 3 layers of their epoxy primer.

I have not had a chance to try either of the new guns yet - our weather just broke from winter/spring to spring/summer, but I am really stoked to try the sprayable filler. This should be a helluva lot easier for me than the bondo I have used in the past.

Jim
Old 05-16-2011, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

sprayable filler? one more thing i gotta add to my learn about list.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

S/T, It's funny, I actually found this forum because I did a Google search on the term 'sprayable filler' .. having heard about it elsewhere .. it lead me to a posting here, by RobSS

Sprayable Body Filler

My jobber had duPont Fill-N-Sand, but I wanted to stick with this Transtar brand for the moment. I got a gal. of Super Sand Primer. What's cool: the reducer is a 1:1 Acetone. I can almost buy acetone at the 7/11.

I have 27' rowing shell out back that I am itchin' shoot. It is easy to block because it is simply a pointy tube. I am excited to tackle it.

Jim

Jim
Old 05-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

So whats the difference between a sprayable body filler and Polyester Primer.
Poly Primer seems to be about 1/2 the cost of these sprayable body fillers.

I know Poly primer is a B....ch to sand. How easy does the sprayable stuff sand?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 AM

Last photo:

cheap is not good

I.m a spray painter and use a satajet 4000. Bloody great gun. But the trick with any paint job is prep work. gloden rule is if you can feel a imperfiction- it will show in the paint job. Spend the time to get the best finish you can and a novice CAN get a pretty good jod. Use paint filters and spray in a CLEAN & DUST FREE area. Good luck
Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 AM

Last photo:

I am pretty happy with my Finishline III, which I bought on advice from here. It is an all metal gun that is easily to rebuild and find parts for, one of my big qualifications. What sold my on the finishline over the other products is my long term association with devilbiss (I have happily used their products for years) and the recommendation from local professionals on the finishline. They use the finishline for primer and an iwata 400 for base/clear. Should I ever want to upgrade to an iwata, I have an excellet primer gun already. The tips I have step up to 2.2.

Although I am sure that the gun is better than I, it still pulls off quite a slick finish and on occasion I don't even have to sand and buff for the collision work I do...it is as good or better than the factory as it comes out. To me, this is a huge time and money saver, and I am glad that I didn't cheap out on the other guns, however at my skill level and the amount of work I do, I couldn't quite yet justify the iwata. For home hobby use, I wouldn't think twice about getting the finishline again.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:25 AM

spray gun

I bought an Astro evo with two tips 1.4 and 1.9. I also got the diaphram gauge for it for under $170.00. I wanted to buy a Sata but after reading the warning labels on the products I'd be using I decided to spend $400.00 on a turbine respirator. Don't put your health second when it come to painting.

As far as the gun...I like it. I'm new to painting so any errors will most likley be caused by myself. It sprayed SPI epoxy primer like base coat. And the primer went on like any other gun. (I sanded it all off anyway). I did spray the inside of my work body with Naso single stage white and it came out good. Alittle orange peel in some areas but this is a hard area to spray. Spraying upside down and all the hidden areas. It's hard to keep your distance right.

I'll end up using the gun for epoxy primer and primer in the future and most likley get an Iwata.

Jeff

Last edited by dirtracer8c; 05-18-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 AM

Last photo:

To even think of shooting ISO paint without a fresh air respirator is slow suicide. I spent months lurking this site and others. Although some claim that those disposable cartridge respirators will filter out ISO's (despite manufacture claims otherwise), is it worth the risk? I was also researching the homemade air systems people have created. I put some serious thought into it as these FAR are not cheap, however, unless you are completely sure of all of your equipment, you may be putting yourself in harms way anyway. Not all motors are sealed and designed for respiration. It would be very bad to have your sole source of air heavily contaminated. I still wash my hands in a bucket of diesel, but I am not going to play around with ISO's. I bit the bullet on the Hobbyair 2 system with full face mask and 80 feet of hose. 40 feet of hose sounds like a lot, but I use all 80 feet and need a bit more...

The hobbyair (the only FAR I have experience with) does pressurize the mask and seals very tight. With my full paint suit, I do not have any exposed skin (ISO's will transmit through skin contact, not just breathing). The hobbyair can keep up with my frantic running around out of breath state and outside of the huge cost, I am happy with it. The pump is a bit loud and gets warm to the touch, but it keeps on going. It cost me $570 and is one of the cheaper ones on the market.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

Brad, You are spot on about exposure and health. One of the major issues with Isocyanates is eyes. Most people concentrate on breathing -a problem also- but blindness is a lousy outcome when you are paying yourself $10hr to do this for someone else..

I needed oxygen at home because my wife had some major health issues and we are 15min from an ambulance + 20min to the ER, so I got a small bottle ..but the local people would not fill it w/o a script. (my wife is a RN so we have all the other monitoring gear also)

Long story/short: you can buy a transfer valve off Ebay and fill your tanks from your O2 tank you use for welding. (It actually meets a higher spec vs. plain breathing O2) I may look into a breathing setup firemen use. I already use their full-face mask for sandblasting...

Jim
Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad4321
To even think of shooting ISO paint without a fresh air respirator is slow suicide. I spent months lurking this site and others. Although some claim that those disposable cartridge respirators will filter out ISO's (despite manufacture claims otherwise), is it worth the risk? I was also researching the homemade air systems people have created. I put some serious thought into it as these FAR are not cheap, however, unless you are completely sure of all of your equipment, you may be putting yourself in harms way anyway. Not all motors are sealed and designed for respiration. It would be very bad to have your sole source of air heavily contaminated. I still wash my hands in a bucket of diesel, but I am not going to play around with ISO's. I bit the bullet on the Hobbyair 2 system with full face mask and 80 feet of hose. 40 feet of hose sounds like a lot, but I use all 80 feet and need a bit more...

The hobbyair (the only FAR I have experience with) does pressurize the mask and seals very tight. With my full paint suit, I do not have any exposed skin (ISO's will transmit through skin contact, not just breathing). The hobbyair can keep up with my frantic running around out of breath state and outside of the huge cost, I am happy with it. The pump is a bit loud and gets warm to the touch, but it keeps on going. It cost me $570 and is one of the cheaper ones on the market.

Sounds like they have gone up in price!!

Good post.

There are a couple of painters locally that did custom painting - they can't do anything much any longer. They were smokers to boot and TOUGH GUYS that kept saying that a few fumes wont hurt me. One - he'll be lucky to make 50, the other might survive for a while longer but probably wont see his grandchildren grow up.

As far as the HobbyAire system - mine was in the basement, pulled clean and cool air and passed it through the wall to my paint area and was very quiet. That hose they supplied was never used. I used a couple of 50' RV water hoses which screw right on the fitting. They are much lighter and worked just fine. The only time I got a whiff of fumes was if I bent over and angled my body. Minimal amount. My unit - I sold it for close to what I paid. If I ever need to do another car, I'll buy another.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 AM

Last photo:

Base model is still around $400, but I got a higher output pump designed for longer hose (up to 200 feet) and the full face mask instead of half. I picked the full mask for the reason you specified, my eyes are also surrounded by fresh outside air. Goggles will steam up, the hobbyair doesn't, even with 100% humidity, pouring down rain, not a bit of fog. I have used mine quite a bit (well, on every paint job at a minimum) and unless it breaks tomorrow, it was a good investment.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetstuff
Brad, You are spot on about exposure and health. One of the major issues with Isocyanates is eyes. Most people concentrate on breathing -a problem also- but blindness is a lousy outcome when you are paying yourself $10hr to do this for someone else..

I needed oxygen at home because my wife had some major health issues and we are 15min from an ambulance + 20min to the ER, so I got a small bottle ..but the local people would not fill it w/o a script. (my wife is a RN so we have all the other monitoring gear also)

Long story/short: you can buy a transfer valve off Ebay and fill your tanks from your O2 tank you use for welding. (It actually meets a higher spec vs. plain breathing O2) I may look into a breathing setup firemen use. I already use their full-face mask for sandblasting...

Jim
I know a firemen setup only last for 15 minutes.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I realize this thread is about spray guns but just had to support what others have said about using a fresh air system. I went with the Hobbyair ($400 base unit with full hood) as many other novice painters on this forum have done. And I must say it was one of the best investments I've made as a car builder. As Dave suggests, if you only plan on painting one car you can sell the unit for next to what you paid for it...and save your life in the bargain.

Hoods, paint suits and air hoses ARE a bit awkward and take some getting used to. But worth every penny.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.