pickup tube wont fit in pump - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

pickup tube wont fit in pump

Hey all.

Im having a bit of a problem.
Im building my first engine in quite a long time and tonite I went to install the pickup tube into the oil pump and I cant get it to go in for anything.
The pump and pickup came as a kit along with a claimer oil pan from speedway. I measured the pump intlet and pickup tube as well with a mic and there is a .035 difference...the tube being the larger. Pump inlet measure .595 and tube measure .630. Is there a trick to getting the tube in or is that just too much of a difference? If its too much then which is the correct size? I need to overnite a new part but I dont know which to order.
Oh ...guess I should tell you this is for a 350 sbc
Thanks in advance
John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2005, 09:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Header design
Last journal entry: And still more pics...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Well, the one trick I've heard of is to freeze to tube so as to make the metal contract and to bake the pump to make the inlet hole expand and then to put the two together, while the tube is still freezing and the pump hot. By all accounts it should just slide right in when you do that. Then again, that is quite a diameter difference. You might want to just get another tube and try it first, see if the one you got isn't defective first.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:04 PM

I thought about trying that before I posted this thread.
Im worried if I do it that the cast pump may crack either from the cold hitting it or too much pressure.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:23 PM

Alright tube is in freezer for the nite..ill heat the pump in the mornin and jam them together.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

You could grind out the material needed.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

oil pump

If the bore is .035" smaller in the pump i would say there is a manufacturing problem with the pump. I really do not see any way of getting it together like that.....

Keith
Old 04-21-2005, 08:51 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

.035" might as well be a mile, if the difference was .0035" freezing and heating would work but you're lookiing at a difference of a hair (literally 1 hair) over 1/32"! Neither part is going to expand or contract that much. Sounds like they sent you the wrong tube. If you can't get another tube take the cover off your pump and take it and the tube to an auto machine shop, they should be able to run a reamer through the cover and fit the tube properly. Make sure you can still move the tube so you can get it properly positioned during mock up assembly.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:09 AM

Hey again.
Ok I havent tried to put them together yet.
The pickup tube itself has a tab coming off the screen that you pull a bolt off the cover and run through the tab to fasten the tube securely to the pump so it is not adjustable.
I was just thinking about running the pump to a machine shop and having them look at it for me. .035 does seem like a lot to me as well. Even if I could fit it it seems like it would cause a lot of pressure on the pump casing and maybe crack it. I would hate to have it crack while pulling 6000 rpm with this motor. Maybe I should just send it back or go buy a pump locally considering its a $25 part that could cost me thousands if it fails.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn
Maybe I should just send it back or go buy a pump locally considering its a $25 part that could cost me thousands if it fails.
I sure would.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:18 PM

Ok I checked all local parts stores and they had the same pumps and the bore size for the pickup tube was the same on all of them so it wasnt the pump it was the pickup tube size that was incorrect.
I couldnt find another pickup other then stock, which I couldnt use, so I honed out the bore in the pump until it was .003 to small then heated the pump and the pickup slid right in. Taking the assembly up to shop to braze the pickup to the pump to be sure it does not fall out or suck any air. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
John
Old 04-25-2005, 05:14 PM

Are you completely sure that you have the correct pick up tube for the pump? I just went down to the basement and measured a pick up tube and pump that are correct for each other. The pick up tube O.D. is .615" and the I.D. of the port in the oil pump is .612". Even at .003" press fit the tubes fit quite tight. You can get a tool from Goodson or Milling that clamps to the tube and you hammer on the tool. It works very well. By the way your freezer doesn't get cold enough to make much difference. If you need to shrink parts for press fit try soaking the part in solvent and dry ice.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:12 PM

Well
It seems the pump and pickup are supposed to be a set..i must have just ended up with a manufacturing defect pickup tube. After honing out the pump to .003 undersize and fitting the tube and bolting too the pump im satisfied with the finished product. I will just never buy a claimer pan kit from speedway ever again BTW...started up the motor last nite at 1 am... broke in the cam...80psi at 2500rpm, 40 at idle. So everything worked out in the end..other then the neighbors being a bit annoyed with my middle of the night break-in.....no mufflers and 3 inch dual exaust

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.