pics of 289 intake problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pics of 289 intake problem

I tried to send pictures of the intake problem that I have. The pictures are finally going to send. The corners of the intake do not meet the corners of the heads. I believe that the intake is of of an 1983 Mustang. You can see the bolts sticking through the intake into the head. It leaks so bad that all you have to do is fill the radiator. I am going to tear the intake back off tomorrow and check the water ports, but the intake does not look right. So hopefully some of you old Ford engine guru's will be able to give me a solution. Thanks again for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00008.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	13111   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00009.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	13112  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 09:12 PM
My wife said no more hotrods..

Yep...wrong intake. What did you do with the orriginal?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:07 PM

Last photo:

I sold the tunnel ram and carbs to get this intake and holley carb. Guess I will have to sell this intake and get another. Maybe you now why it work work. In Jegs and Summit they do not specify differences in small bolck Ford intakes. Hopefully I can find an old style four barrel intake. Thanks for the help
Old 07-03-2006, 12:01 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waycoolfairlane

I bought a 63 Fairlane a couple of weeks ago. The car was set up as a show car. The owner said it had a 289 in it. The motor had a Weiand tunnel ram and dual Edelbrocks on it. It looked pretty but did not run very good on the street. I sold the intake and carbs and got different ones. The intake is a factory Ford 4 barrel aluminum intake...casting number RF-E3ZE-9425-F. If I decoded the intake right it is off of a 1983 Mustang. The problem is that the intake and the heads do not mate up at the corners. The motor pours out antifreeze as soon as you fill it.

Quote:
I tried to send pictures of the intake problem that I have. The pictures are finally going to send. The corners of the intake do not meet the corners of the heads. I believe that the intake is of of an 1983 Mustang. You can see the bolts sticking through the intake into the head. It leaks so bad that all you have to do is fill the radiator. I am going to tear the intake back off tomorrow and check the water ports, but the intake does not look right.
Interesting. By any chance, do you have a cylinder head casting number?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:29 AM

Last photo:

No, I dont have the casting number yet. I was busy with the honey do list today. I am pulling the intake off as soon as I get up in the morning. Unless I am wrong, I believe the casting number is between the rockers. I will pull a valve cover and check when I take the intake off. Kind of a strange problem, never heard of this one before. I called the guy I got the car from, be he only had it for a year or two. And he did not put the motor together. Will post the casting numbers tomorrow. Hope to get this figured out soon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00011.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	13113  
Old 07-03-2006, 02:36 AM

Last photo:

I'll have to look in the morning, but I am pretty sure my 289 looks like that to. It was assembled from parts ranging through the 60's, nothing past '68. I thought that looked a little odd when I replaced my intake gaskets, but it doesn't leak from there on mine, it leaks from the POS aluminum water neck. I used Mr. Gasket Ultra-Seals and haven't seen a drop of water from there.

Are you sure you retorqued the manfold bolts after it heat cycled?

OK, curiosity got the better of me, I knew I wasn't crazy, I can see threads on both sides. I took pictures, but they are a little blurry, it is hard to take pictures in the dark.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo0001-hr.jpeg
Views:	147
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	13116   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo0004-hr.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	13117  

Last edited by elliott; 07-03-2006 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:45 AM
aka Duke of URL

waycoolfairlane,

Nice installation! It looks like the front cover I am looking for. Is the oil filler pipe in the front cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott

I'll have to look in the morning, but I am pretty sure my 289 looks like that to. It was assembled from parts ranging through the 60's, nothing past '68. I thought that looked a little odd when I replaced my intake gaskets, but it doesn't leak from there on mine, it leaks from the POS aluminum water neck. I used Mr. Gasket Ultra-Seals and haven't seen a drop of water from there.

Are you sure you retorqued the manfold bolts after it heat cycled?

OK, curiosity got the better of me, I knew I wasn't crazy, I can see threads on both sides. I took pictures, but they are a little blurry, it is hard to take pictures in the dark.
Elliot,

Can you retake the pictures. If early intake, it seems to appear as the later 5.0L.

I have also posted this thread at http://www.network54.com/Forum/11941...oling+Passages as these guys have a better handle on SBF. Watch it in case I forget as I am getting old...

Does it actually run from the bolt hole in the thermostat housing extension cast or does it seem to run where the cap screw goes into the cylinder head? Elliot is using an early intake and they seem to be cast the same.

First I have heard of mismatch other than actual port shape due to water pump reverse flow.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:09 AM

Last photo:

I have a C6OE (1966) 2-bbl manifold and I think they are 1967 289 heads on a 1965 block.

Here are some better pictures, I hope these are the views you need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0267-hr.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	13118   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0270-hr.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	13119   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0268-hr.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	13120   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0269-hr.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	13121  
Old 07-03-2006, 06:15 AM
aka Duke of URL

THANX ELLIOT!

It appears to be a sealing problem then...
Old 07-03-2006, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

I got the intake off today, and posted some more pictures. Thanks for the pics of the exposed bolt threads. Now I know that is not the problem. The gaskets seem to fit the heads properly, but this is a mismatch to the intake. The intake leaks at all four corners. It is starting to seem that the problem is a mismatch between the intake gaskets and the intake. If I sell this intake, and by a new one from Summit or Jegs, am I going to have a mismatch again with this old of a motor. I think there are two different sets of Fel-Pro gaskets. I might take the intake and the old gaskets up to the parts store and see if I can get a better match. I dont need to use thread sealer on the threads, or do I. It does not look like it but I thought I would ask. Now for a off subject question. Is there a trick to installing a new ingition lock tumbler. I stuck a paper clip in the old one and turned it left and it popped right out. But I cant get the new one too lock back in.. I know that I thanked you for the help already but wanted to take the time to thank all of you for your help again. Thanks All
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00018.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	13133   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00021.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	13134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00022.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	13135   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00023.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	13136  
Old 07-03-2006, 04:52 PM
aka Duke of URL

You saw the answer at the Small Block Forum didn't you? He suggested 5.0L intake gaskets.

The way it looks to me, the gasket is not completely covering the coolant passage allowing coolant to flow under and past it.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:04 PM
aka Duke of URL

waycoolfairlane

Listen...You have the front cover type (early) I am looking for;

-Previous Post Searching For Ealy 260/289 Emission Parts-

I see you now have breathers in your rocker covers. Did your engine come with the PCV setup that ran off the rear of the intake manifold? Do you know where I could find a setup?

If I remember correctly, the cylinder should pop into the switch without the use of the paper clip. Just have key inserted and give it a few gentle twists. It is only that small pin holding it and I think it is spring loaded. Been awhile...
Old 07-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Rev It Loud, Drive It Proud!

I had the same problem on my windsor. If my memory serves me right you need the gasket for the year of the heads. On the newer heads ( 76 and up ) the coolant ports were bigger so when you try and match the "5.0" gaskets to the old heads the ports are too big and you have the leakage problem. Most parts stores should have those gaskets on hand and you should be able to match them up. good luck
Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 PM
aka Duke of URL

5.0L Cylinder Head Coolant Passage;

Old 07-04-2006, 01:26 AM

Last photo:

Sorry, I dont have any of the orginal pcv equipment. Everything is as I bought it. I decided to sell the intake and get one that has similar coolant ports, since there is a major mismatch. Thanks for all of the help. I have learned quite a bit.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« 327 question? | Pvc »