Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pics of my Homemade Air Dryer
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 07:06 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50bowTie
I've tried several different setups (an understatement) for drying out my air. I do quite a bit of DA sanding and painting from my garage at home and have always battled moisture and oil problems.

The tank is an old propane tank. Black iron couplings were cut in half and used as weld-in bungs. Tank was back-purged with argon and mig welded with my little miller 140.

1.25" bungs on top and bottom for easy empty and refill.

takes almost three large bags of fresh step crystals cat litter (95% Silica gel) -- much cheaper than buying bulk silica Sink drain Screen brazed to inside of exit nipple to keep the desiccant in the tank and out of my regulator.

I have ZERO moisture for about a month of continuous use and gained a little more volume (which helps my 60 gal IR keep up!)

Feel free to comment, copy, whatever.
Looks like you used Monster tape.
Did you have the tank hydo'd?
Good tip on the kitty litter.

Back in the day a friend of mine was a commercial diver. He refilled his tanks using a home made filter box. It was nothing more than a steel box welded up to hold 40 Kotex pads inline. He said it worked as well as any commmercially available filter at the time.