Pilot bearing: bronze or rollers? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2010, 02:32 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pilot bearing: bronze or rollers?

Do the roller bearing pilot's wear out faster than their old skool bronze counter parts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

That depends on the life they lead. A roller would not do as well in an off road situation where you are running through deep mud and water.the graphite inpregnated bronze would do better there.A roller is almost a must on street performance as a lot of new design transmissions are built to close tolerances and the bearings maintain that well.The rollers are "Kinder" the the bearing area of the input shaft as well ,which can result in longer, better performance and less wear on the shaft at the bearing contact point.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:12 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Ah good points. This is just a weekend street rod truck, no strip, no race, no offroad use. Old gen 1 SBC350 with a (freshly rebuilt) old B/W super T10. So none of that new high tolerance fancy stuff your talking about! Lol thx for input, sounds a roller is the way to go.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Yeah for the street if the pilot shaft portion of the trans input is pretty decent I would run the bearing style. The bronze is pretty forgiving if there is a wear issue in this area. If there is no visible wear on the pilot part of the shaft run the roller.If it is worn run the bronze.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Remember that you get what you pay for with roller bearings. We sell a genuine 'oilite' bronze bushing which is non magnetic (even though it has a small amount of iron in it. Most parts store bushings have so much ferrous metal that they will stick to a magnet. These are no good and can weld themselves to the input or the bore. With respect to the needle bearings; good bearings are expensive, even at my cost, regardless of type.

We see more problems related to roller pilot bearings than almost anything else (number 1 being improper lube in the trans).

If you can install the bearing squarely in the crank and to the proper depth, go for it. But; most guys, laying on their back and using a socket, have trouble with this. This is why we spec a quality bronze bushing. If you don't get it installed perfectly, its okay, the bushing can take up some misalignment.

When people use cheap scattershields that dont fit properly and then use a roller pilot....things get ugly fast
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

For the application- "a weekend street rod truck, no strip, no race, no offroad use. Old gen 1 SBC350 with a (freshly rebuilt) old B/W super T10", I'd use a quality bronze oilite-type bushing. They've served well for many, many years, they're the epitome of efficient simplicity, they're capable of 100K miles- plus durability, and I'd not hesitate to use them in any application that originally used a bushing and not a rolling element bearing of some sort.

In applications that call for a roller, of course I would say to use one.

Post on bushings/bearings- HERE.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 PM
More machine than man

Last photo:

Wow. That thread was very enlightening. It seems the roller bearing was a fix for a problem that never existed...I dunno maybe the new LS engines need 'em. But my B/W ST-10 was never designed for a roller...so bronze it is. Thanks for posting Cobalt!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

as mentioned above, go with the "NON MAGNETIC" bronze bushing. the bushings that are magnetic have too much iron in them and will wear the nose of the input shaft.

forget the needle bearing pilot bearings, clutch dust kills them and when the needles/rollers go they will take out the nose of the input shaft.
a NON MAGETIC bronze bushing is the ONLY way to go.

i have replaced thousands of clutches and trust me, the bronze pilot bushings are the only way to go...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Last photo:

Non magnetic bronze bushing and forget about it.

Vince
Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 AM

Last photo:

pilot bushing

As I mentioned in the thread that Mark referenced, the bronze bushing makes better sense. My friend who owns a transmission shop says that while the roller bearing maintains precision pilot shaft alignment, its only good until it breaks. When the roller bearing fails, they always seize, which always ruins the input shaft requiring a transmission repair to replace it. While the bronze bushing may not maintain as precision an alignment, it does the job nearly as good and is sacrificial thus saving the input shaft from damage. He replaces all rollers with bronze when doing clutch jobs(and alot of bad input shafts in the process).olnolan

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.