Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pimp my Garage
Thread: Pimp my Garage
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 11:11 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

As a garage-aholic, I have to side with Ponch. A dumpster is your first move.
Some of the stuff I am going to do is to consolidate:

1.) instead of building benches, make a mobile work station with drawers. Make a 30" wide standard lower cabinet w/ 4 or 5 drawers, and put it on lockable casters. Use double 3/4" plywood top, as a PORTABLE workbench/work station. Put "like" tools in it. Make one for bodywork, special aotomotive tools, etc. Make a provision where you can connect/lock them together to give you a larger surface. They need to be the same height ! You COULD use a premade base cabinet from a casework company, but I will build my own! That way it will endure my abuse. The sectional portable bench kind of inhibits you from piling crap on it. And you can roll it to the job.

2.) Use a 36" wide x18" deep x84" high double door cabinet , and put small stuff in "fish tins". The plastic boxes that commercial fish frys get the fish in. You can buy them for $.50 each. They hold a bunch, and they are stackable.
I have "carb parts", "electrical", "wiring" , "small engine parts", "odd fasteners", and a bunch of other stuff in mine. And the end of the box is labeled. I stack them on the shelves in the cabinet, and its all out of sight. Plus, its a cool place to put all those stickers from manufacturers on it. Open the doors , and get what you need without sorting.

3.) Bigger stuff, get the "rubbermaid tubs" for like $7.00 each at a department store. Get sturdy ones, and you can store sporting goods, hunting, fishing, gardening stuff, and carpentry tools, in them. Easy to stack. Write on them so you can go directly where you need to

SIDE BENEFIT: You can have your wife go DIRECTLY to the bin you need, to get whatever piece you need!! (Ya gotta stay one step ahead of em..)