Pin holes in DCC ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2004, 11:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pin holes in DCC ??

Check out the pic. You can barely see small pin holes in the orange peel. The orange peel will color sand out but what about the holes? They are tiny but you can see them!

I'm using 4 parts PPG Concept - 2 Parts DU5 Hardener with 1 Part DT870 Reducer Sprayed with a Devilbiss GTI620 Gun with a 1.4 tip

Any tips on redusing orange peel would also be a big help!

Thanks,
Max
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orange.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1518  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2004, 12:07 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

There is an additive DX84 or 87. You only need about a 1/2 once per srayable quart...but you do need it someimes.

http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/p-168.pdf
Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 AM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

I cannot tell by the picture whether it's solvent pop or fisheyes. It looks like fisheyes, but the picture isn't clear on my screen. Fisheyes are always caused by contaminates, either in the air system, on the substrate, or floating in the air. It can be caused by any number of things. Adding fisheye eliminator to your paint is not the answer. Eliminating the problem is the proper solution. I used fisheye eliminator once, about 15 years ago, but was more trouble than it was worth, and I've not used it since. That's not to say I've not had little problems arise here and there over the years, but I am very careful to keep known problematic sources far away from my shop, whenever possible. Proper clean-up procedures will normally eliminate the fisheyes.
If the problem turns out to be solvent pop, then you were perhaps using improper solvent or laying it on too heavy. Sitting a vehicle out in the direct sunlight too soon will also cause solvent pop. Air flow is very important post painting, so don't close up the shop too tight, too soon either. The solvents need to be whisk away from the surface as they evaporate. Using 870 reducer may have caused it to skin over too quickly, causing solvent pop. I don't use DCC on a daily basis, but when I do, I use DT885 reducer and DCX61 hardener. I'm not sure DU5 is recommended in DCC. You would have to check the P-sheet.
The DT885 reducer will allow all PPG products to flow better and retain better gloss holdout. Not sure why, but experience has proved it to me, so I never use anything else, unless it's extremely hot and humid. (over 100F and 98% humidity) Only then will I mix the 885 with a little DT898. Over-reducing the DCC seems to help too. Not much over-reduction is needed though, only a couple capfuls of extra reducer per mixed quart is normally all that's needed. I spray really close too, which allows the paint to go on slicker for me. I never buff for texture, only the occasional dirt nib. Try a test panel, with different gun set-ups and moving in closer to the panel. I spray PPG DCU2021 clear at about 3-4" off the surface. This is with an HVLP gun (DeVilbiss GTi) I back off to about 5-6" off the surface when using a SataJet 90 conventional gun. Both have a 1.4 tip. Make sure you allow for proper flash times between coats too. Urethane should be sticky, but not string when you touch your finger to a taped edge along the area you last sprayed before applying each successive coat. If it strings, it's still flowing, and needs a while longer to release solvents before applying the next coat. Don't rush it, but don't wait too long either.

Randy Ferguson
& Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com
Old 04-07-2004, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips. I'll try changing to DT 885 Reducer. What will the DX84/87 do for me? They are only described as enhancer and extender on the sheet - not very informative.

-Max
Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

solvent pop

Hey guy That is the beginning to middle stage of solvent pop.
As solvent pop gets worse it will look like a fish eye but the difference will be is there will always be a speck that looks like dirt
in the center or edge.
885 could take care of it UNLESS its coming from trapped solvents in sealer or primer if used.
Lacquer primer can also cause this problem.
If pin holes showed up in first coat is coming from sealer, primer or old paint underneath.
If it showed up right away in second coat first coat skimmed to fast and had trapped solvents.
Puddling of paint can cause this also.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:54 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

The Dx84 helps both flow= overall gloss It'll kinda break the"skin" of the paint so to speak. The thing is, it's expensive just to get a 1/2 ounce you need to buy a minimum container so everybody skips it, but what do I know?.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:05 PM

Last photo:

I picked up some 885 today. The guys at the paint shop seemed to think it should take care of both the solvent pop and orange peel. If I still have the problem, I'll try the DX84 or 87. They also recommended over reducing a little.

We'll see.....

Thanks,
Max

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.