pin holes in weld after welding new metal in under rear window - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 11:14 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Steve,

I have a Lincoln 175 Mig and a Lincoln Precision Tig 185-I use the Mig about 80% of the time, and if I had to pick just one, it would depend on what type of work I was doing-if I were doing primarily restoration body work, I would get the 185 Tig, and, you are correct-it does take longer, but the welds are beautiful. For everything else (including a lot of body work), I would get a Mig-

By the way, yes, you can Mig aluminum-

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

The Twenty Gauge is a cored wire but it is a true MIG wire (M-etal I-nert G-as) and runs best on a 75 -25 mix (C/25 as it is commonly known) and it is not to be confused with the gas-less flux core which is a completely different animal altogether. The JW Harris site says it can be used with straight CO2 but I have found it really needs the C25 to work right but C25 is what you will want to use with any steel MIG wire. Yes you can weld aluminum with a MIG just fine however the thinner stuff welds a lot better with a TIG and really TIG is probably better all around for aluminum. To weld aluminum with MIG you simply change wire and switch to straight Argon gas but it is a bit different so practice first before tackling anything valuable. I have talked so much about that Twenty Gauge wire that it is starting to get a little embarrassing but honestly in all my years of chasing that little blue light I have never seen anything that even comes close to what it will do on thin sheet and it is much easier for a novice to weld body panels without burn through or warpage than with solid wire.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Right Rear Armrest
Last photo:

On my MIG, you have to put in a teflon sleeve so the alum. wire doesn't hang up. You also have to run pure argon (IIRC). Never tried it (yet).
Old 06-15-2006, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

Using a Lincoln Weld Pak 100.

I Started with the .035 flux cored wire and man that was tough to weld that thin metal patches. Then I bought the conversion kit to change it over to MIG and now use the .023 wire with the 75 25 gas mixture and I will never go back. What I like about the MIG is it really leaves less splatter and you can really lay some flat welds. I know some guys though that with the flux cored can lay some weld lines that look like glass. What I have had to learn over the year is how to dial in for different types of butt welds I've done and have really enjoyed the MIG. Now one question I do have is, is TIG easier to use to create flat penetrating welds?

MP
Old 06-16-2006, 07:22 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

IMHO,

I don't know that I would say easier-I would say it's more controllable. Since you have a foot pedal (or Handamptrol) you can change the amount of heat (Amps) into the Weld on the fly, so with practice, you can stay just on the edge of burn-through easier. If you can Oxy-Ace Weld well you can Tig-it does take a lot more practice (at least it did for me) to Tig, and on sheetmetal it is a smaller weld (I use .035 rod).

Again, if you are going to do fine, no-bondo kind of work, Tig welds are a little easier to planish than Mig welds, so it appears there is a new debate: does it take longer to metal finish a panel with Tig (slower welding, easier to "hammer-weld", and for me, a larger HAZ), or a Mig Weld (Faster, harder to planish, usually easier to burn-through). For brackets and such that I am not going to grind the Welds on (and my Buddy's will see) I Tig (looks Better). For mocking things up, or quick "get it done" type of stuff, I Mig-
Old 06-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

My Lincoln 175 MIG will do aluminum with the "kit" and I believe it requires 100% Argon. Never tried it though.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

pictures of my repair

Here is a couple pictures of my repair effert. I hope it doesn't look too bad for a novice. I have it sprayed with some cheap butt rattle can primer for now. I have some epoxy and some filler for later.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

hope this worked
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VW hole.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	12848   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole repaired.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	12849   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole repaired 2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	12850  
Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 PM

Something to keep in mind as you approach the job.

If you do not seal the back side of a pin hole and you put bondo on than you risk long term swelling of the bondo as it absorbs moisture through the hole.

I would be sure to epoxy prime both sides and be sure the pin holes are filled.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

PIn holes look like they are gone. I'm thinking that I might try to get a brush behind the panel and put some eastwood rust encapsulator on the back side.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.