Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   pin stripe a wheel..?? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pin-stripe-wheel-226324.html)

gearheadslife 11-20-2012 10:33 PM

pin stripe a wheel..??

1 Attachment(s)
Hello..
I want to add a body color pin stripe to my truck rally's
but unsure on how to get an even(width) and spaced stripe on the wheel lip.
normally these wheels would have a chrome trim ring.. and center cap..
I'll run the centers.. but no ring.. they been powercoated.. if that matters..

ideas welcome..

cobalt327 11-21-2012 03:46 AM

A good pinstriping brush, a steady hand, a can of 1 shot, and practice? Mounting each wheel to a front hub so it can be rotated should help.

OneMoreTime 11-21-2012 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1613946)
A good pinstriping brush, a steady hand, a can of 1 shot, and practice? Mounting each wheel to a front hub so it can be rotated should help.

Ah .. yup

Sam

gearheadslife 11-21-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1613946)

the steady hand is the issue..

cobalt327 11-21-2012 05:56 AM

OK... here's another idea. Shoot the area of the wheel the color you want the stripe to be. Using a thin striping tape like 3M 471 1/8", make the stripe. Paint over it w/the color you want for the wheel. Remove tape and feather/buff/finish the wheels. I'm sure there are other/better ways to skin this cat. Body guys should be helping you anyway.

Jimbo17 11-21-2012 06:18 AM

The hardest part

The part that I think is the hardest for someone just starting is getting the paint the right consistency which takes some practice.

Once you have the paint just right simply rotate the rim on the hub or have some else rotate the rim slowly and you should be able to get a nice line.

If not simply wipe off the One Shot paint and start over again.

Again a very important part is getting the One Shot paint to flow consistently and the there are a number of different ways of doing this.

The difference between someone just learning pinstripping and a veteran is how long a line they can pull without needing to more paint on the brush.

Jimbo

timothale 11-21-2012 06:56 AM

beugler kit.

I have a beugler pin striping kit. Eastwood sells them , they are a lot more expensive than 30 years ago when I bought mine. In the factory wheels were mounted horizontal to paint, rotated on a hub. and a guide bar above to rest and steady your hand as you lay down the stripe. The factory striping tools are like a Beugler, larger and built with more precision,

gearheadslife 11-21-2012 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1613960)
OK... here's another idea. Shoot the area of the wheel the color you want the stripe to be. Using a thin striping tape like 3M 471 1/8", make the stripe. Paint over it w/the color you want for the wheel. Remove tape and feather/buff/finish the wheels. I'm sure there are other/better ways to skin this cat. Body guys should be helping you anyway.

wheels are already powdered..

but thanks... anyways..

S10xGN 11-21-2012 07:16 AM

Why not just use a vinyl tape stripe in the width you want, they're a lot more durable now and even come in reflective colors. Easy to find on E-Bay...

Russ

Ratdoggy 11-22-2012 08:54 AM

Make some kind of fixture to clamp a pinstripe brush into something like a dial indicator mount. Mount the rim on a front hub and spin it as it's spinning move the brush in slowly.

MARTINSR 11-22-2012 09:13 AM

I'll tell you what, back a number of years ago I was an inspired striper and letterer, I had all the best stuff, paint in many colors and all the different brushes and I started practicing. After a good amount of practice I found out that I didn't have it, not by a long shot. I couldn't put a stripe that was worth a darn and I have a LOT of respect for those who do.

To put that wheel in something, spin it, and using a Mack striping brush to lay a stripe around it? I can't imagine it looking very good at all unless it was done by a pro, you are asking an AWEFUL lot to pull that off. It's hard enough to lay a decent stripe along a straight edge. I am thinking the idea on painting the rim then masking off the stripe is the way to go if you ask me.

The "On Shot" paint is cheap, a Mack Dagger brush is cheap, give it a try. And if you can do it, super, and if you can do it, keep it up because you may just be one of those people with God given talent to stripe!

Brian

tech69 11-22-2012 09:19 AM

I would just forget the idea alltogether and get them powder coated. Painted rims is just another thing to consider when taking off the tires.

S10xGN 11-22-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69 (Post 1614338)
I would just forget the idea alltogether and get them powder coated. Painted rims is just another thing to consider when taking off the tires.

OP stated in his original post they are powdercoated...

Russ

sedanbob 11-22-2012 10:06 PM

You might be able to mask off and paint your pinstripes. They sell masking tape that has a removable strip or strips. You lay one piece of tape, then pull out the removable strip leaving you with a uniform space between two strips of masking tape. Paint the stripe, then pull off the masking tape. Here's one brand and you can see the 'resulting painted lines'. Finesse Pinstriping Inc. - FinessePinstriping.com
Different tapes would give you options like two parallel stripes of equal or unequal width.