Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pinging on 03 Chevy 5.3 Engine in Suburban
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pinging on 03 Chevy 5.3 Engine in Suburban

I have had some pinging noise in my Suburban for some time. I have tried everything to get rid of this. Does anyone have any other ideas? The engine is in a 03 Suburban LT 4x4 thats all stock, but K+N Drop in Air Filter and Denso Iridium Spark Plugs. The truck has about 102k on the Odometer.

Here is what It does. It will not ping when its cool/cold outside. It will only do it when it is very humid or above 80 and humid. If its hot, say mid 90s and very humid as it is this time of year, its pretty bad. I can hear the pinging when I touch the pedal at around 2k rpms. Right on that initial press of the pedal it will make a slight ping. Then if I wind the Engine out, to around 5k, it will reall start to get a pinging. If I am towing my boat, and its under a heavy load, sometimes it will it around 3-4k rpms.

Here is what I have done so far.

1) Cleaned the Throttle Body
2) Ran no telling how many cans of Sea Foam, Decarbonizer through the Tank, even tried Spraying in GMS Top End clenar through the Throttle Body and also Deep Creep.
3) Changed out the Before Cat O2 Sensors
4) Make sure that the Mass air Flow sensor was clean and airfilter

Also noticed that I see this quite a bit when Pulling out of my office into traffic, you have to get on it to get out of the building on the main road. When the Temp Guage is not yet up to 200-210 right below center of the 210, then it will not ping. Just thought I would add this to see if this has anything to do with it.

Does anyone have any ideas? The truck runs awesome, just has this pinging sound. The gas Mileage is down around 3 mpg around city, just so you know from when I got it 2 yrs ago.

Bryan

Last edited by bry21317; 07-23-2009 at 10:40 AM.