pinging - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 04:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Bad fuel, bad maths.

Next time you fill up with premium, write down the odometer reading. do this 2 or 3 times then do the same on 7/11 junk fuel. Work out your mileage in CENTS PER MILE then weigh it up. Often the dearer fuel works out cheaper as most efi systems will tune up or down to available fuel and driving style.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2005, 11:14 PM

You COULD try that....but you might pound the rod bearings out if it before you get to the end of the next tank......
I deal with this every day. It gets frustrating cause there hasn't been enough proper education on what's real....(what you can get away with)
bf

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 07-24-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:45 AM

Last photo:

Huh?

If it's still running chances are his bearings may live, and his pistons are'nt holed and his top rings haven't annealed and his ground electrodes are'nt in the sump. Lets show some of these people that quality can cost less instead of frightening them to death.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I stand corrected. Thanks , You knew what I meant anyway.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Pinging

Pre-Ignition , detonation or pinging can also be caused by carbon buildup. The carbon particles can retain heat which will cause the fuel to ignite before the compression stroke is completed and the spark plug has a chance to ignite the fuel air mix. Pre-ignition is a serious problem and the cause should be found and eliminated. Also make sure the engine temp is in the normal range,a hot engine will also ping.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 AM

Glowing carbon deposits are one cause of pre-ignition for sure.

I feel it IS necessary to frighten most guys, as too many are lazy or don't want to spend the money to make their combinations efficient, and I've found if I make them understand, that they need to fix it before they drive it again or just have a bigger bill later, sometimes it works. If you sound blase about the problem they always learn the hard way. 99% of them anyway.

Here's what's real - a situation that most people, and too many mechanics don't understand. If you hear a "ping," that's SEVERE extreme detonation. It's not to be viewed as a "little ping," or a little problem. Even if you just hear it once and while - unless something has gone haywire with the timing or you have a load of bad gas, or a dirty/plugged/lean carb, you're in deep doo-doo ALL of the time. Which leads me to:

The next problem, and it causes just as much damage over the long run, is inaudible detonation. I give people this anaology. Using a 12 inch scale. If audible detonation happens at the 11" mark, what kind of problems do you think will occur at 10.75 inches? The same problems that will happen at 11 inches, except it will just take a little longer to manifest themselves. I seen broken cranks from inauduble detonation. Rod bearings and smoked top rings are usually the first to go, then the domino effects take over and the engine is soon dead. For sure it's WAY down on power and there's no bandaid fix after that happens. (blowby, etc.)

I've designed and worked with very succesful low compression engine combinations for 14 years, so I'm not just yippin' to read my own writin'.

I just want to help everyone understand what's real so they can save money and enjoy thier rides. Good luck.

Bruce

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 07-24-2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:54 AM

Pinging

Run your car at 5mile perhour in traffic jams all day
and it builds up carbon this increases the compression ratio
and guess what pinging occurs.

Solution come to new zealand where our out of town roads are not to full
and give it a thrash.
While your at it can u bring me some part for my 350 chev

Runing your engine cold all the time maybe thermostat jamed open
or short trips adds to carbon build up.

You could shove some **** in the tank to loosen the carbon but not recomended better to burn it off.
or dechoke it by pulling the head off.

If you have an old car like me and your points keep closing up with wear to the plastic that will make it ping also cause it will alter the timing.

Sorry think im talking nonsine and i cant sepll
Old 08-23-2005, 05:18 AM

Last photo:

Kiwi Gsx.

Sorry Keith, but if your points close up your dwell will increase and your timing retard. Put a timing light on a single point delco and have a friend increase the dwell while you watch. Guess these blokes can't get good fuel in the northern hemisphere. Must be water down the plughole or lack of open roads eh cuz?
Old 08-23-2005, 06:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

carbon Build up

Another old mechanics trick to eliminate carbon buildup is to remove a vacuum line and stick it in a glass of water and let it SLOWLY suck the water into the engine. This has a cleaning effect and generally will loosen any carbon deposits. You need to go slow and keep the engine reved. I have seen people pour it into the carb but I dont recomend it. If you slip and dump in to much you can hydro lock the engine and thats never good. I have seen the before and after using a fibre-optic cylinder inspection tool and it was quite impressive. My mechanic friend ran 2 glasses through an engine and it made a world of difference.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.