Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pinging on cruise part throttle acceleration?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 03:38 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle86
Have you found that the preload on the spring doesn't cause it to drop out faster if limited from the back (Crane) verses the front?

Say on the AR16, around 4" the arm starts to move and it's total advance is in around 15". If it's limited to 10 degrees the way I did mine, wouldn't the advance start to move around 4", but hit the limiter around say 8" vacuum instead of the total 15" needed to move the whole arm then entire distance?

Then if it's limited to 10 degrees the crane way from the back side of the arm, you would think that it would have to make it all the way to that 15" before all the advance was in regardless of where it started since the arm has to move all the way to it's factory stop right? I don't have access to a vacuum pump right now so I don't know.
What I found was what I posted previously, Kyle. The amount that the arm is moved by a "front" OR "rear" limiter does not change in any way the amount of vacuum it takes to move the arm initially or when the arm retracts- it it the same as an un-limiter-equipped can.

Do what I did and test this for yourself. You don't even need a gage-equipped vac. pump- use your mouth and see what you "see". It will not be as accurate as my gage, but I'm sure you will be able to tell something.

BTW, the can I tested is an OEM-type can, w/o internal adjustment.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-14-2010 at 03:43 PM.