Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pinging on cruise part throttle acceleration?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
I had a chance to test an OEM(non adjustable)type vacuum can last night on the bench. The starting position of the connecting rod does effect the start point of the movement. Pic one shows the rod against the vice grip jaws at about 4"hg this is just below the start point,the rod has not moved yet. Pic 2 shows the rod starting to pull away or move at approx 4.5" hg. I then clamped the vice grip 1/8" closer to the can simulating what the crane plate would do if installed on the back side of the rod as I suggested. Pic three shows the rod now starts to move at 7.5"hg so that is 3" hg difference. I then tested my HEI with an adjustable can same thing. In both cases the plate does effect the starting point in relation to the vacuum applied.
Great experiment!!!

I will definitely be swapping out my limter plates.

As for my problem, the tip in ping went away after I increased the jet size another step. Never would have thought it wanted this much fuel.

The only time it pings during cruise now is when I punch it. If I tip in or roll in, it accelerates fine but if I stomp on it, it will chatter. I'm guessing this is an accelerator pump problem and may be able to get tuned out with some cam changes.