Pinging on my L98 TPI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2005, 02:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pinging on my L98 TPI

I have a 87' gta firebird with the L98 TPI engine. I cannot get this car to stop pinging above 3000 rpm when you stand on it. I know it is detonation probably. I have 93 oct + 104 octane buster in it. New Accel 40k volt coil, new wires. new fuel filter, new bosch platinum plugs, new cap and rotor. set timing at 6 degrees as spec. even moved it and drove it from 6 deg - 13 and it is worse.

No Check engine light, starts fine , just won't stop that pinging.

any help is welcome.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Is your knock sensor hooked up? Are you getting any engine light/codes? Do you know what your fuel pressure is?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

One simple but critical check during these moments is to confirm whether or not your car's EFI computer has the correct memcal for your model. Even if a memcal that's calibrated for a manual gearbox is fitted by mistake can have huge problems as a result. It's possible that the computer has been replaced in the past but not mated up with the original memcal. Or, someone's altered the memcal programming. Also, if fitted, check the knock sensor wiring and operation. I see you've added octane booster, but have you also tried injector and engine carbon flush additive?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:58 AM

l98 ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_Freud
Is your knock sensor hooked up? Are you getting any engine light/codes? Do you know what your fuel pressure is?
The knock sensor is there , and I have no codes. The pinging seemed to start a while ago when I put crap gas in it, with my hypertech in it and it didn't like it. It set the code 42 off that was the esc code , but Hypertech said that would happen. I swaped out the chip recently trying to eliminate it as a source of my pining, but no luck.

I am starting to wonder with 95k on it living up in chicago before I got it , if the CAt was plugged up and loading the engine down ?
Old 04-26-2005, 07:02 AM

l98 pinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by club327
One simple but critical check during these moments is to confirm whether or not your car's EFI computer has the correct memcal for your model. Even if a memcal that's calibrated for a manual gearbox is fitted by mistake can have huge problems as a result. It's possible that the computer has been replaced in the past but not mated up with the original memcal. Or, someone's altered the memcal programming. Also, if fitted, check the knock sensor wiring and operation. I see you've added octane booster, but have you also tried injector and engine carbon flush additive?
The good news is I bought this car from a friend that bought it new, it has always performed great. IT sat for 5 years and now I have it . None of the engine codes come on during the big ping. Would a knock sensor fail dead and the computer not know it ?
Old 04-26-2005, 08:01 AM

Kid I think your only solution is to trade that BAD car in for a real one.... HELLO DAN ! ! ! Look in the " Knowledge Base" and you might find a similar discussion....
Old 04-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

L98 pinger

Have you checked you timing? Any other engine mods done? Also what is the engine temp when the engine is pinging.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Get gas from a different location next time. Also, verify you have adequate fuel pressure (at least 38 psi). A scanner would really help with this problem as it would show your rich/lean condition, as well as your knock counts to know when and how many times its detecting knock. Has it run this was ever since you got the hypertech chip? Perhaps a tech over advanced the timing on the chip.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

L98 Ping

When you were setting your timing did you disconnect the timing bypass connector? By disconnecting this, it removes the computer from adjusting timing during the adjustment period. Should be a single wire (brown I think) between the distributor and the ECM, inside a wire loom or the connector may be taped to the wire loom. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

The ESC wire should be tan with a black tracer. When you set the timing, is is important to unplug the ESC before you start the engine, so that it stays at base timing, with absolutly no computed timing. Look under the hood on your emissions sticker fot the base timing spec, usually 0*, or contact hypertech to see if it requires an altered base timing spec.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Stock base timing is 6 degrees. The connector is usually near the brake booster or behind it. Hypertech may have altered the base timing and it will need to be matched physically. However, unless they dramatically altered this, I dont believe this would account for your pinging. Set the timing at 2 the proper way and see if that takes care of the pinging. If it does, slowly increase base timing until the ping returns and then back off a few degrees. Its a tedious process as you have to go through the proper procedure each time.

1. Unplug EST connector.
2. Start engine and set base timing.
3. Shut down engine and remove negative side of battery.
4. Plug the EST connector in, and after 20 seconds or so, replace negative side wire.
5. Start up and drive.

Your knock and ECM should be able to account for pinging to a degree. Perhaps your timing is far enough advanced that it cant pull enough to get it to stop. Like I said, a scanner would be useful.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:50 PM

Dan:

I hope you find a solution. This site is the best place to find advice.... GOOD LUCK.... THERESA
Old 04-28-2005, 07:34 AM

My Pinging L98 - It's Alive Again :-)

After troubleshooting and wearing my Fluke voltmeter out testing sensors and
throwing money at my ignition system I found out what was choking my enging out.

I went to my friendly local muffler shop guy and he drilled a hole in front of my Cat and did a pressure test and looked at the gage and laughed at me.

He said that if he saw 1 - 1.5 psi that would equal a 10-15% resticted exhaust and that was the threshold for replacement / amputation. My L98 displayed a remarkable 3.5 - 4psi ! yeah I interpeted that as at least a 30% reduction in normal restrictiveness on that car.

The good news is that the cat had an fatal accident when it fell in front of a speeding cutting torch and the cat didn't make it. The car feels like it has a supercharger on it now.

I think I am going to go put 200 miles on it just for spite and make myself feel better about gaining horsepower and having a little louder exhaust.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.