Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pinion Angle ?
Thread: Pinion Angle ?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 04:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by user151
Well I'm confused... in the last referenced link, centerline shows a mailburacing drawing and says it does not show pinion angle (he is correct, it shows pinion to driveshaft angle), but then he shows an Inand Empire drawing that shows the same thing!

What I gather is that the pinion and trans output shaft angles should be parallel (that is, equal but opposite sign angles) to eliminate vibration .... AND (here's the kicker) the U-joint angles should be 1 (min) to 3 (max) degrees to minimize U-joint wear.

Setting the former does not guarantee the latter... it would depend on how long your driveshaft is. Am I missing something? Can someone clarify this ror me?

Thanks, Tom
Actually those parameters are pretty easy to set up in almost any vehicle. In a "T" bucket or something similar that has a very short driveshaft it may require some trans angle adjustment but generally speaking those settings are pretty easy to achieve. As long as you're setup falls within those you should not have a problem. Keep in mind though that this is a "street" setup. Setting up pinion angle for racing is different.