Hot Rod Forum banner

Pinion Angle

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mitchc 
#1 ·
I'm getting some serious vibration at 70 mph. I have my engine down 3 degrees and the drive shaft is down 1 degree. Now here is the part I've heard all kinds of numbers. I have a 62 Nova so I have multi leaf springs with Comp Eng traction bars. The rear is 3 degrees down I had 6 degree shims in between the spring and the pearch (sp) and it put the pinion up 3 degrees. I'm still getting vibration at 70. I had a 3.5 inch Aluminum drive shaft built and it was balanced, new u joints all new bearings in the rear end when I changed the gear ratio to 3.55:1 I have a new Tremec TKO 600 with .64 final drive. I've had the wheels balanced twice and have checked for run out on the wheels .010 on the right and .008 on the left at the bead.

This is not a drag racer all I do is cruise.. I dont need to set it up for the strip so I'm not worried about what the pinion is doing during a launch.. I just ordered new poly bushings for the leaf spring with poly pads for the spring pearchs.

Any help? Thanks Mitch

#4 ·
I removed the complete rearend and installed new spring peaches all new poly bushings and spring peach pads. I set the rear end at 3 degrees up and the trans is 3 degrees down and the drive shaft is 1 degree down. I installed new u joints. I also put a new yoke on the pinion. The trans mount is a poly unit. I'm still getting a vibration at 70 MPH.. I have a 3 inch alum drive shaft that I think is to long. When you install it the dust boot is touching the end of the yoke. Do you think that would cause my vibration? How much space between the seal and the yoke cross do I need. I'm thinking about an inch.

#5 ·
That is how I measure mine, slide it in till it bottoms out then pull it out ONE inch and take the measurments from center to center on the yoke.

#8 ·
Problem solved....!!!!!

I pulled my drive shaft today and took it to Inland Truck and Ivan (BIG SHOUT OUT TO) Cut the drive shaft 1 inch and rebalanced it and all my troubles are gone. Took it out and going down the hwy at 95 and its smooth..

Thanks for all the comments and help. This is a great site.

Mitch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.