Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Pinion angle (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pinion-angle-232553.html)

dave350v8 05-05-2013 07:47 AM

Pinion angle

Hi there
Just checked my pinion angle it is 4 degrees down! My tailshaft out of
Gearbox is down 5 degrees obviously this is wrong, would axle shims
Correct this?
If so how many degrees am I looking at?
Thanks in advance!

RWENUTS 05-05-2013 08:13 AM

This link and chart should help.
Pinion angle? - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

delawarebill 05-05-2013 11:50 AM

angle of a dangle

rule of thumb.. use an angle finder on the trans on a flat spot. like the pan. find that angle then set the finder on the flat part of rear input of U joint and tilt it up that same number.. so in your case the trans is down 5 the input of rear should be 5 up.

techinspector1 05-05-2013 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delawarebill (Post 1673096)
rule of thumb.. use an angle finder on the trans on a flat spot. like the pan. find that angle then set the finder on the flat part of rear input of U joint and tilt it up that same number.. so in your case the trans is down 5 the input of rear should be 5 up.

My thinking through the years has been to leave a degree or two between the two, so that as power is applied to the tires, the pinion will rise a little and the two angles will be very close together. Like, if the trans shaft is 3 degrees down bubble, I might put the pinion in at 1 degree up bubble. Like I said, under power, the pinion will climb the ring gear and the two should be pretty close to equal.

techinspector1 05-05-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave350v8 (Post 1673021)
Hi there
Just checked my pinion angle it is 4 degrees down! My tailshaft out of
Gearbox is down 5 degrees obviously this is wrong, would axle shims
Correct this?
If so how many degrees am I looking at?
Thanks in advance!

I'd be re-positioning the engine/trans to get closer to a 3 degree down bubble if using a carb or as close to zero as I could get with an EFI system.

sedanbob 05-05-2013 02:44 PM

Since you asked about shims, I am assuming your rear suspension is leaf springs - if that is the case, I agree with Techinspector1's first comment about setting the rear pinion a couple of degrees down from where you want it.

dave350v8 05-06-2013 12:34 AM

Thanks for your comments guys,
Looks like im going to have to use about 8 degrees shims then, are there any issues using this large angle shim? if so shall I re-weld perches in a better place,
Yes im using leaf springs
Thanks again

S10xGN 05-06-2013 07:28 AM

I have 8 shims in my Maverick, got them here. This was due to letting a friend weld the perches on "at his discretion" instead of specifying a setting. Car has never had a problem with it...

Russ

dave350v8 05-06-2013 07:54 AM

Thanks for that, didn't fancy cutting them off again...

Hogg 05-07-2013 10:58 AM

Ideally, you want the angles out of the trans to equal the angles going into the rearend, during the timeframe at which the u-joints will spend most of its time.
If its a drag car, you want the angles equal while at WOT, if this is a highway cruiser you want the angles equal while at cruise.
Sometimes you have to compromise.

peace
Hog

NEW INTERIORS 05-07-2013 12:42 PM

The change in suspension depends a lot on the type of suspension your using... I set up pinion angle's to the suspension I'm using... Some change way more then others...;)

On your's If your down 5* I would set the rear end up 3* to 4* because of the leaf springs..