Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   pinion angle setup (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pinion-angle-setup-204553.html)

barrie 08-29-2011 09:32 PM

pinion angle setup

Hi! I'm Barrie and currently building a 1948 Anglia in my retirement. I have been successful in getting a big-tick for my first inspection for LH10.

I am trying to find some info re setting up the pinion angle on the 4 bar rear suspension.

Bazza

Centerline 08-29-2011 10:34 PM

Do a search on pinon angle setup. There are about a hundred threads discussing how to set pinion angle.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates

eloc431962 08-30-2011 06:40 AM

Welcome to the site.

Cole

delawarebill 08-30-2011 07:02 AM

angle of a dangle

what i've read and been told (both may be wrong) is to measure the down angle of the tranny and do the same angle up on the pinion.. i have done it this way and have about 10k on my car and no problems with U-joints..

35terraplane 08-30-2011 12:26 PM

pinion angle

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrie
Hi! I'm Barrie and currently building a 1948 Anglia in my retirement. I have been successful in getting a big-tick for my first inspection for LH10.

I am trying to find some info re setting up the pinion angle on the 4 bar rear suspension.

Bazza

you have to know the degrees you need to set it at in relationship to trans. Because every time you change those bars, you will have to re-set pinion angle. those four bars are pushing on a point in the front of the car. you can drive the nose into the ground, or you can set it on its' back end, just on how those bars are set.

If you are going to just drive it on the street, just set it and forget it. you just want the drive shaft as straight as you can get it between the transmission and rearend.

Bob

S10xGN 08-31-2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrie

Bazza

Need a translation here... :embarrass Most 4 bar suspensions have very little deflection of pinion angle through suspension travel, so just match your "up" and down" angles like the others said.

Russ

delawarebill 08-31-2011 01:05 PM

angle of a dangle

yes still match the down on tranny to the up on rear.. i have a 4 link on my bucket..

Tony@AirRideTech 09-01-2011 08:56 AM

exactly... in a quick nutshell on an average 1 pc driveshaft. You want to get the transmission tailshaft angle ( Typically around 2.5-4 degrees down ) and set the pinion angle at the oppsing reflection. For example if your trans tailshaft is -3 degrees, you want you pinion at +3 degrees. Some guys depending on the bushing style they are using will compensate for up to one degree of pinion preload for when drive train is under load. It splitting hairs in most cases. :D

5 CWT 11-01-2011 12:59 PM

"pinion" angle in my o"pinion"!

Pinion angle is a complete myth + or - 3 degree makes no difference in power,vibration or drivability :)

Centerline 11-01-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5 CWT
Pinion angle is a complete myth + or - 3 degree makes no difference in power,vibration or drivability :)

Although the mod mafia has dictated that we're not allowed to correct someone when they spew false, incorrect, or totally bogus information I'm not going to let this go. The above post is total BULL and anyone who knows anything about drive train setup knows it!!!!!

Now mods, delete this if you must but unless you want the kind of garbage this guy posted showing up in a lot of technical threads I strongly suggest you allow the members of this forum to address those responsible before this crap spreads. Unless of course the mods want to take responsibility for someone screwing up their ride because bogus information was allowed to circulate without anyone correcting it.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“Life is hard..... and it's even harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne

5 CWT 11-01-2011 02:04 PM

angle

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerline
Although the mod mafia has dictated that we're not allowed to correct someone when they spew false, incorrect, or totally bogus information I'm not going to let this go. The above post is total BULL and anyone who knows anything about drive train setup knows it!!!!!

Now mods, delete this if you must but unless you want the kind of garbage this guy posted showing up in a lot of technical threads I strongly suggest you allow the members of this forum to address those responsible before this crap spreads. Unless of course the mods want to take responsibility for someone screwing up their ride because bogus information was allowed to circulate without anyone correcting it.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“Life is hard..... and it's even harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne

in the seventies cars were jacked up high at the rear which made the pinion-prop angle almost 30 degrees,no problems were found.Modern off road racing 4x4 have the same but in reverse,no problems found! what is the validity of your rant?

Centerline 11-01-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

in the seventies cars were jacked up high at the rear which made the pinion-prop angle almost 30 degrees,no problems were found.Modern off road racing 4x4 have the same but in reverse,no problems found! what is the validity of your rant?

Its very obvious you know nothing about proper driveline setup for street driven vehicles and I'm not going to take the time or effort here to educate you. Its enough that everyone now knows your information on this subject is bogus.

If you really want to know, try doing some reading on the subject.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you. - Anonymous

5 CWT 11-01-2011 03:56 PM

pinion

your post in my view is invalid due to lack argument! good job your"e not a barrister....

SSedan64 11-01-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

your post in my view is invalid due to lack argument! good job your"e not a barrister....

Without any arguing, look at the 1st 2*-degree example in this link and explain how raising or lowering the vehicles Body will change the Drive line angles of the Trans & Rear. >> http://www.rosslertrans.com/Pinion%20angle.htm

user151 11-01-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

If the trans down angle and the pinion up angle are set equal, that is good... then raising (or jacking up) the vehicle will increase those angles, but they will still remain the same and opposite.

So the rule remains true: the trans down angle and the pinion up angle should be the same.

Of course, too large an angle will result in short U-joint life.