pinion angle setup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 10:32 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

pinion angle setup

Hi! I'm Barrie and currently building a 1948 Anglia in my retirement. I have been successful in getting a big-tick for my first inspection for LH10.

I am trying to find some info re setting up the pinion angle on the 4 bar rear suspension.

Bazza

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 11:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Do a search on pinon angle setup. There are about a hundred threads discussing how to set pinion angle.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“If money is what makes cars fast, mine otta be going 400 miles an hour!". - Felix Sabates
Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome to the site.

Cole
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

angle of a dangle

what i've read and been told (both may be wrong) is to measure the down angle of the tranny and do the same angle up on the pinion.. i have done it this way and have about 10k on my car and no problems with U-joints..
Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

pinion angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie
Hi! I'm Barrie and currently building a 1948 Anglia in my retirement. I have been successful in getting a big-tick for my first inspection for LH10.

I am trying to find some info re setting up the pinion angle on the 4 bar rear suspension.

Bazza
you have to know the degrees you need to set it at in relationship to trans. Because every time you change those bars, you will have to re-set pinion angle. those four bars are pushing on a point in the front of the car. you can drive the nose into the ground, or you can set it on its' back end, just on how those bars are set.

If you are going to just drive it on the street, just set it and forget it. you just want the drive shaft as straight as you can get it between the transmission and rearend.

Bob
Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie

Bazza
Need a translation here... Most 4 bar suspensions have very little deflection of pinion angle through suspension travel, so just match your "up" and down" angles like the others said.

Russ
Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

angle of a dangle

yes still match the down on tranny to the up on rear.. i have a 4 link on my bucket..
Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM

Last photo:

exactly... in a quick nutshell on an average 1 pc driveshaft. You want to get the transmission tailshaft angle ( Typically around 2.5-4 degrees down ) and set the pinion angle at the oppsing reflection. For example if your trans tailshaft is -3 degrees, you want you pinion at +3 degrees. Some guys depending on the bushing style they are using will compensate for up to one degree of pinion preload for when drive train is under load. It splitting hairs in most cases.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:59 PM

Last photo:

"pinion" angle in my o"pinion"!

Pinion angle is a complete myth + or - 3 degree makes no difference in power,vibration or drivability
Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 CWT
Pinion angle is a complete myth + or - 3 degree makes no difference in power,vibration or drivability
Although the mod mafia has dictated that we're not allowed to correct someone when they spew false, incorrect, or totally bogus information I'm not going to let this go. The above post is total BULL and anyone who knows anything about drive train setup knows it!!!!!

Now mods, delete this if you must but unless you want the kind of garbage this guy posted showing up in a lot of technical threads I strongly suggest you allow the members of this forum to address those responsible before this crap spreads. Unless of course the mods want to take responsibility for someone screwing up their ride because bogus information was allowed to circulate without anyone correcting it.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“Life is hard..... and it's even harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Although the mod mafia has dictated that we're not allowed to correct someone when they spew false, incorrect, or totally bogus information I'm not going to let this go. The above post is total BULL and anyone who knows anything about drive train setup knows it!!!!!

Now mods, delete this if you must but unless you want the kind of garbage this guy posted showing up in a lot of technical threads I strongly suggest you allow the members of this forum to address those responsible before this crap spreads. Unless of course the mods want to take responsibility for someone screwing up their ride because bogus information was allowed to circulate without anyone correcting it.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“Life is hard..... and it's even harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
in the seventies cars were jacked up high at the rear which made the pinion-prop angle almost 30 degrees,no problems were found.Modern off road racing 4x4 have the same but in reverse,no problems found! what is the validity of your rant?
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
in the seventies cars were jacked up high at the rear which made the pinion-prop angle almost 30 degrees,no problems were found.Modern off road racing 4x4 have the same but in reverse,no problems found! what is the validity of your rant?
Its very obvious you know nothing about proper driveline setup for street driven vehicles and I'm not going to take the time or effort here to educate you. Its enough that everyone now knows your information on this subject is bogus.

If you really want to know, try doing some reading on the subject.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you. - Anonymous
Old 11-01-2011, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

pinion

your post in my view is invalid due to lack argument! good job your"e not a barrister....
Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
your post in my view is invalid due to lack argument! good job your"e not a barrister....
Without any arguing, look at the 1st 2*-degree example in this link and explain how raising or lowering the vehicles Body will change the Drive line angles of the Trans & Rear. >> http://www.rosslertrans.com/Pinion%20angle.htm
Old 11-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
If the trans down angle and the pinion up angle are set equal, that is good... then raising (or jacking up) the vehicle will increase those angles, but they will still remain the same and opposite.

So the rule remains true: the trans down angle and the pinion up angle should be the same.

Of course, too large an angle will result in short U-joint life.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.