pinion depth - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pinion depth

OK so as I wrote in my other thread titled "mini spool" I got a 3 series carrier with 373 ring and pinion from a mid 90's astro van that I want to install in my 82' cutlass supreme. I know about the difference in the axles 26/28 spline. my question is how do I know what to set the pinion depth at? I has a good magnetic base dial caliper to measure it, but how do I know what to set the new one to??

Can I just measure the depth of the pinion thats in there now and set the new one to the same hieght, or will I hafta change the depth due the the gearing swap?? I am new to rear ends, and have NEVER fully changed a ring and pinion. I'm more of an engine builder myself, but I know it all must work together to reach its full potential, thats why this swap must be made.... The gears that are in there now aren't near enough for my big cam and 3500 stall.. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2008, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

As a novice. Your best bet is to set the pinion up on the stock pinion shim that was in the carrier. Then use gear marking compound and check for contact pattern. Adjusting pinion depth and side gear lash till you get acceptable results. Get a book on the subject and READ!. Not a job for a novice, but with a bit of time and common sense will work.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

If you are getting "new" gears not just new to you. The new pinion should be plainly marked with the proper pinion depth....Usually marked with an engraver on the pinion end.......
Old 12-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Often listed as a + or - symbol. That plus or minus the factory standard. Gears are easy, just remeer that you WILL have together and apart more times than you will want too. Sometimes it takes me 12 or 15 times sto get it right. Just part of the game. Also remember any deviating form how you assemble it, like torque reading or feel or anything wil change your final readings. Sometime you check the same shims several times that one day just to make sure it the right direction much less the right pack. It's a pain but remember it will be worth your patience.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Normally the + or - is on the Spicer gear set's and is very handy. The Pinion depth that is marked on the end of your pinion won't do you any good unless you have a pinion depth tool.Just start with your original shim and work from there.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 PM

pinion depth

If you are taking out a set of gears there is a plus or minus marked on the old gear. There is a plus or minus marked on your new gear. If your old pinion was a plus 10 and your new pinion is a plus 15 you would remove .005 thousandths of shim. If your old pinion was +10 and your new one was 5 you would add .005 to your old shim pack. It is that easy. The plus 10 means you are .010 thousandths over the center line of your pinion depth. Centerline is 000. That is why the pinions were marked at the factory in the first place. If you set the pinion depth, then set your ring gear backlash and bearing preload you should come out right nearly all of the time. By changing your backlash you should be able to make any further changes needed. I have set up rear ends for years and that is the way i was shown by Eaton, Spicer and Rockwell gear schools.
Good luck
Old 12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barflymark
If you are taking out a set of gears there is a plus or minus marked on the old gear. There is a plus or minus marked on your new gear. If your old pinion was a plus 10 and your new pinion is a plus 15 you would remove .005 thousandths of shim. If your old pinion was +10 and your new one was 5 you would add .005 to your old shim pack. It is that easy. The plus 10 means you are .010 thousandths over the center line of your pinion depth. Centerline is 000. That is why the pinions were marked at the factory in the first place. If you set the pinion depth, then set your ring gear backlash and bearing preload you should come out right nearly all of the time. By changing your backlash you should be able to make any further changes needed. I have set up rear ends for years and that is the way i was shown by Eaton, Spicer and Rockwell gear schools.
Good luck
The OEM GM gear sets don't have the plus or minus marked on them,It would be nice if they did though.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

The pinion depth shim goes with the housing, in general. And in the end, all that matters is what the pattern looks like. If you dont like pressing the bearing off and on the pinion you can get or make a setup bearing to slide on, or you can shim under the pinion cup(race) if you have access to various shims. It is also somewhat hard to set up a used gear since the patterns will not ever look like the ones in the instructions. Pay more attention to the coast (less worn) side of the ring gear.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.