pinion gear assembly (how to shim) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

pinion gear assembly (how to shim)

Hi, I got a pontiac 8,2" 10-bolt b-o-p axle in my firebird-67, and I bought a differential, ring gear and pinion gear. The ring and pinion gear have not the original ratio so I have to "re-shim" those when assembling the axle.

But I kind of got stuck at the beginning thus I don�t know the proper way to shim out the pinion gear. The inner bearing of the pinion gear is really hard to assemble, It�s requires tapping on the bearing, but if I do this it will be really hard to assemble more shims if it�s required.

So the question is: How do I assemble shims and bearings in a proper way (Observe that I gonna have to assemble more shims later, so it�s not the final assemble)?

Grateful for all help I can get

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Use a differential case spreader, you can probably borrow or rent one from NAPA, Advance Auto, and other parts stores. You can also make your own if you have a small welder. Google it. Look here and here to see what they look like, not cheap to buy...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 06-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

You can get a set-up bearing to make changing the shim a simple process. It has a slight oversize ID so its a slip fit on the pinion. You can do it yourself with a die grinder.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:25 PM

thanks. I also wonder about backlash. Mostly about the differential side gear backlash that Ive seen people do on video (on non-BOP axles). I think I know how to measure it but not how much backlash I should have, and how to correct it. I have a new differential but the old gears, so do I have to check this? Ive googled it with no success.

Also anyone know what backlash I should have on ring gear to pinion gear? Ive read on internet and found that it should be 0.005" to 0.009" but I also found on other sites that it should be .006" to .010". But either way it just a guide-line for a proper pattern check, right?

Last edited by bugget_jr; 06-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

You will have to check and adjust backlash by doing the following:

Take the diff without the ring gear mounted and install in housing with bearings.

Find the total shim height that makes the carrier bearing preload about zero, ie you can pull the carrier in and out with the shims installed but it takes some effort.

Add .008" to the shim height you determined to achieve carrier bearing preload.

Divide the total shim height into two about equal shims and mock up total assembly with pinion and ring gear installed.

Check that the pattern on the coast side of the ring gear is basically centered on the tooth and that the ring gear backlash is .008-.012".
Old 06-11-2012, 06:20 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Your inner Pinion brg should be BCA#HM89449. Buy a Extra brg and put a sanding wheel on a die grinder and hone just enough off the ID that the Brg will slide on and off.

During your initial set up leave your Seal and crush sleeve out and just set the pinion preload with the nut. Now you can play with your pinion depth and backlash without going thru crush sleeves.

You can start with your original pinion and carrier shims to get in the ball park and adjust from there.

When you get a good pattern pull it apart 1 more time and install the seal and crush sleeve. Remember to keep your preloads and backlash the same during the setup so your final result stays the same.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM

thank a lot! really good step-to-step explanations about the pinion and the backlash.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugget_jr
thank a lot! really good step-to-step explanations about the pinion and the backlash.
If you get stuck on the set up.. post a pic of your gear pattern and we can get you going in the right direction.

Take your time and pay attention to detail.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:52 AM

I was to begin assembling the rear end to day but was really worried. Because Im a beginner Ive got a really hard time to figure out what specifications I should follow. Is this specifications something I could follow http://www.cardomain.com/ride/204363...-9#20436320232 (both on pinion preload, backlash, ring gear torque and cap torque)?

Im currently stuck at the preload drag of the pinion nut. According to the link above it should be a drag between 12-15 lbs (thats the same as lb-ft, right?). Can that be right? And if it is, should I use this preload drag on both the measuring stage and the final stage?

If the specifications above isnt reliable is there someone out there knowing where to get some reliable specifications, or maybe can tell me?

Last edited by bugget_jr; 06-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
I was to begin assembling the rear end to day but was really worried. Because Im a beginner Ive got a really hard time to figure out what specifications I should follow. Is this specifications something I could follow http://www.cardomain.com/ride/204363...-9#20436320232 (both on pinion preload, backlash, ring gear torque and cap torque)?

Im currently stuck at the preload drag of the pinion nut. According to the link above it should be a drag between 12-15 lbs (thats the same as lb-ft, right?). Can that be right? And if it is, should I use this preload drag on both the measuring stage and the final stage?

If the specifications above isnt reliable is there someone out there knowing where to get some reliable specifications, or maybe can tell me?
NOT THE SAME.. it needs to be INCH pounds of rotating preload.

So tighten the pinion nut till it take's 12/15 inch pounds to rotate the pinion.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Ring gear 55lbs clean threads with red locktight
Main caps 60lbs clean threads with red locktight in final assembly. No need to take the bolts to a full 60lbs during set up.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:

should I use this preload drag on both the measuring stage and the final stage?

Keep all your preloads the same during initial set up and final assy. This will help with your pattern staying the same when you get to final assy.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 PM

thanks again. How about the side-bearings preload? Should I adjust it after the gear pattern check, is that possible? How do I know when I got the correct side-bearings preload?

As I understand it from other internet sources: if I have a pinion preload of 15 lb-in then I should set the side-bearing preload such that the preload drag on the pinion is 53 lb-in (with a gear ratio of 3.55 (15 times 3.55 = 53)).

and again, thank you for all help. Really appreciate it.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
thanks again. How about the side-bearings preload? Should I adjust it after the gear pattern check, is that possible? How do I know when I got the correct side-bearings preload?

As I understand it from other internet sources: if I have a pinion preload of 15 lb-in then I should set the side-bearing preload such that the preload drag on the pinion is 53 lb-in (with a gear ratio of 3.55 (15 times 3.55 = 53)).

and again, thank you for all help. Really appreciate it.
Do you have the pinion in the housing and have you tried setting the carrier in the housing yet? If so.. how tight does the carrier fit in the housing?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:03 AM

Ive assembled the pinion and tried to assemble the differential with the orginal shims but it wouldnt fit. Then I re-shimed it so the shims was about 0.04 inch less than original. With those shims it would fit if I tap them in place but it would also fit so well that its kind of impossible do take the differential out.
The Following User Says Thank You to bugget_jr For This Useful Post:
hgdmartin (09-16-2012)

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.