Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pinion offset?
Thread: Pinion offset?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM

Last journal entry: Old guy's low cost Chev coup.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pinion offset?

Ran into one today that is blowing my mind. Got my driveshaft bolted in and it didn't look quite perpendicular to the rear end. Kind of looked like an angle tween the differential pinion shaft and the transmission output shaft. So did some measuring cause I obviously mismeasured when I made my transmission mount. So, unbolted everything forward of the rear end (1998 Camaro posi) and slid it over to where it all looked perpendicular (90 deg). This moved my eng and trans over to where it is two inches closer to the right frame rail thean the left. That can't be right ! conclusion is that the pinion shaft on rear end is not dead center, although it appears to be. I am measuring something rong here. What have I forgotten here? I thought maybe leaf spring backwards or something, but they all measure out ok and the center pins are ok and centered but seems that the Camaro pinion shaft is not centered and when squaring everything out to "square" it translates to moving engine and transmission over. Sorry for long explanation, but it has me baffled. Always thought that the front and rear universals and driveshaft were dead center on all cars. Is that what I get for thinking all by myself again? What have I missed here? Thank you, in advance, for any help on this. trans is th700 chevy behind 94 350, rear end again is 98 camaro. all in 39 chev coupe chassis. Thank you !