Pinion Shim ??? What Pinion shim? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pinion Shim ??? What Pinion shim?

So I am rebuilding this 93 Ford 8.8 and swapping the open and 3.08's for a locker and 3.73's. Tear down, no problems, bearing reinstall no problems, races same, but I keep reading about this pinion shim I am supposed to have?

I am assuming the shim should be between the bearing and the head of the pinion, well the 3.08's don't have a shim(OEM), just a small raised area near the shaft, and it is the same story with the 3.73's I pulled the OEM bearing and no shim. the bearing kit came with 10 different thickness shims, the difference between the stock 308 pinion and the new 373 is about -.004.

do i care? do i need to worry? or can I button this thing up?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 08:51 PM

No, do not button up yet, those shims are for adjusting the pinion depth. Unless I am misunderstanding you, now is a good time to purchase some set up tools and a video and set this ring and pinion right. Your gear set has a tolerence from axle center line to the back of the installed pinion gear.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:55 PM

Last photo:

I didn't buy a video but I did do some research.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/cpa5oh/cpa5ohtech001.htm

this is a link from here, in one of the tech departments. As well as this one i also found this one:

http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

I read the parts I was looking at a couple times, pinion set up and so on, and I found mixed reports on the pinion gauge thing, one i don't want to spend $600 bucks on a tool I will use a small number of times my compressor I use everyday only ran $600.

I then I went back out there and found that mystery shim it was stuck on the back of the old bearing. stuck it all together and found my backlash was about .018 so I need to adjust a little but I will wait til morning.

Thanks though.....
Old 11-06-2005, 01:07 AM

I dont remember how much i spent on my set up stuff. I do know that when your friends find out that you can do it, you'll be buried in rear ends to do. I charge $200 each. Narrowing stuff is good also.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:07 AM

Last photo:

Man $200 with parts? na must be just labor...I see your in Washington where at? I am learning a bit doing all this stuff by myself, but for $200 I would have called ya for sure.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

rear end

You can also check the set up off your ring and pinion with gear marking compound. The set up tools would be great but the pattern left from the gear marking compound will tell you a lot of info without the cash layout. I am sure there is some info on the web on the correct pattern and what to do to correct it. All the info I have is printed, if I find it on the web, I will post it.

Rick
Old 11-07-2005, 01:18 AM

Last photo:

ya, one of those links above has a good wear pattern chart. Have you used that compound or paint before is there a trick?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:44 PM

The compond is to confirm what your tools have told you. Richmond stamps the spec for pinion depth and back lash on the backs of their pinion gears and so far they've been pretty close.

Last edited by Crosley; 11-07-2005 at 06:33 PM. Reason: advertising rules
Old 11-07-2005, 04:29 PM
Drive it like a rental!

Last photo:

rear end

The only trick to using the gear marking compound is to put some resistance on the ring gear and turn the pinion in both directions. Turn it forward until the marked teeth go through the pinion and past, then turn back. Do this a few times and you should get a good pattern. If you don't, clean it off and repeat. I usually wedge my pry bar between the housing and the ring gear smooth surface to give it some resistance.

Rick

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.