Hot Rod Forum banner

pinstriping

18K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  MXrider13 
#1 ·
I've been practicing a little over a month now and here is somthing I did a couple days ago. I've learned a lot in that time and learned I still don't know anything, it will take time. Like everyone says, practice, practice, practice. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I've done a lot of pin stripes but not that technical. I can see a difference from left to right. It's easy on one side of the car and the other but that much in one spot has to be close to perfection or it will show. Nice pattern!
Are you doing this free hand or using a template? If you use a template, you can do one side and flip it over and have the same pattern exactly as the other side. :D

#5 ·
I'm not using a template but did make a grid with a Stablo pencil. This is just a exercise in layout and design. I saw some other designs and Incorporated them in this one. I don't know if I would use this on a car. After I do my practicing I just do some designs for fun. I'm my own worst critic. This is the first time I tried it with a grid. Still have'nt got it down but will keep working on it. If it was something I would put on both sides of a car I would make a pattern and use a Pounce wheel and do it that way. I just have to get one.

#6 ·
41 kustom said:
I'm not using a template but did make a grid with a Stablo pencil. This is just a exercise in layout and design. I saw some other designs and Incorporated them in this one. I don't know if I would use this on a car. After I do my practicing I just do some designs for fun. I'm my own worst critic. This is the first time I tried it with a grid. Still have'nt got it down but will keep working on it. If it was something I would put on both sides of a car I would make a pattern and use a Pounce wheel and do it that way. I just have to get one.
I just wish i could do this stuff.

Cole

#8 ·
Sick thing is, a geek with a graphic design degree or a program for dummies and a computer can put a perfect design on sticky back 3-M and peel it off on your car in no time. Probably take longer to decide what design you want than it would to do the work but.........$$$$ :eek:

#9 ·
sqzbox said:
Sick thing is, a geek with a graphic design degree or a program for dummies and a computer can put a perfect design on sticky back 3-M and peel it off on your car in no time. Probably take longer to decide what design you want than it would to do the work but.........$$$$ :eek:
Ahh, but that's the beauty of a hand stripe.Too many are looking for the perfection, it doesn't happen that often with a hand laid job. And I would prefer to have that imperfect job than one done on a computer and stuck to a spot. Width of a line, straightness, uniformity all needs to be right, but look for the traces of a human...know what I mean? I had my coupe striped, it's far from perfect but I can live with it.

#11 ·
dinger said:
Ahh, but that's the beauty of a hand stripe.Too many are looking for the perfection, it doesn't happen that often with a hand laid job. And I would prefer to have that imperfect job than one done on a computer and stuck to a spot. Width of a line, straightness, uniformity all needs to be right, but look for the traces of a human...know what I mean? I had my coupe striped, it's far from perfect but I can live with it.
X2 .....if pinstriping is done perfect it looks like it was done by a machine. It is generally accepted that Kenneth Howard AKA "Von Dutch" was the best most accurate for constant width lines but his lay out and design was not always symmetrical. Me personally it is more realistic when it is not perfect...but that just me .This helmet is one of the very first things that I striped and yes it was inspired by some of Von Dutch's designs. You are doing good keep at it,you say that you are you own worst critic thats good cause it will push you to get better and better.
Good Luck
Kenny

Attachments

#12 ·
Thanks, It's something I really like doing. I've been messing with different designs. Everyone says you will get your own style but what hasn't been done? I've got picts of a lot of striping and I have my favorites. I don't copy them line for line, I add different elements of my own. There are some fantastic strippers out there that you never heard of. The Von Dutches and Johnsons are well known. Like you say, there's only one person I have to satisfy and thats myself. Thanks again.

#15 ·
Thanx, not so sure I'm any better, just different style. The Tool boxes were done with a Mack 00 sword and the helmet with a Kafka #1 Scroller and a #2 Mack Wizard Vortex Scroller.................I don't get much practice in, perhaps once a week for a few hours at best.

#16 ·
Thanx, not so sure I'm any better, just different style. The Tool boxes were done with a Mack 00 sword and the helmet with a Kafka #1 Scroller and a #2 Mack Wizard Vortex Scroller.................I don't get much practice in, perhaps once a week for a few hours at best.

#19 ·

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.