Hot Rod Forum banner

pinstriping

18K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  MXrider13 
#1 ·
I've been practicing a little over a month now and here is somthing I did a couple days ago. I've learned a lot in that time and learned I still don't know anything, it will take time. Like everyone says, practice, practice, practice. Tell me what you think.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
judd55 said:
Thanx guys .................. I've got another job lined up already. It's a bit of fun, a little stressful at times and ultimately satisfying in the end. Hopefully I'll get over the stress part with time and a bit more practice. :D
I used to get like that with pin stripe tape. Had a bud that tried to do his 71 GS Buick we stuffed a 430 in and re-painted it. He called me up and said come over and look what I did. I was like this :eek:. He was pretty distraught over it. He couldn't draw out a straight line for his life! We ripped it off, got new tape, and 3 hrs. later, I had it looking just like the picture of the GS on a mag cover. Nose to tail and over the spoiler. Then he was like this :D
When you see the look on one's face after fixing them up, it's worth all the stress to see them happy. :thumbup:

#35 ·
It helps if you can draw a little but if not there are books out there with designs you can copy such as this one Pinstripe Designs Then use tracing paper to transfer the design. Now for the toughest part, you'll need to practice a bit of brush control to make the turns, stops and starts of lines, thinning and palleting the paint to get the right consistancy, etc. It is a bit of a learning curve, but just like welding it takes practice. You say that you have the patience so you have an advantage already. There are many books on the subject, Amazon has a good selection. Pinstriping Books Scroll down for the 3 frequently bought together............they are very good. Just like welding, you can read about it all you want but until you actually strike an arc you'll never be a welder. Go for it, :thumbup: It's not a huge investment, Amazon even has the supplies Starter Kit Good Luck

#36 ·
Wouldn't be pinstriping if he stuck it on your car. That would make it a sticker. Would you rather drive a Hyundai Pony or a Deuce/ Same sort of comparison.....

OTE=sqzbox]Sick thing is, a geek with a graphic design degree or a program for dummies and a computer can put a perfect design on sticky back 3-M and peel it off on your car in no time. Probably take longer to decide what design you want than it would to do the work but.........$$$$ :eek:[/QUOTE]

#39 ·
You should give it a try, you might find out you're steadier than you think. A lot of stripers use 2 hands. I do quite often. Of course practice is the key. I'll get back into it when my Kustom is on the road for the NSRA show in Essex Junction the 23. It don't cost much to start, just a brush and some one shot paint. Try the Pinstipers Lounge site also, good place.

#40 ·
41 kustom said:
You should give it a try, you might find out you're steadier than you think. A lot of stripers use 2 hands. I do quite often. Of course practice is the key. I'll get back into it when my Kustom is on the road for the NSRA show in Essex Junction the 23. It don't cost much to start, just a brush and some one shot paint. Try the Pinstipers Lounge site also, good place.
How should I start? What should I practice with/ on?

#41 ·
There are lots of places on line to buy brushes and paint. Look a the Mack Brush site. I think they have a list of dealers, If not look under pinstriping supplys. I bought a Mack 10 type brush to start. It's the most common. Mine was a 000 size. Paint can maybe bought locally { maybe a brush also} from a art store. You will need some low oder mineral spirits for cleaning your brush and thinning the paint, use oil to put on your brushes when you store them. There are better people on this site that can idvise you better than I can, they might chime in here. Let me know how its going. As far as what to practice on, I use a peice of glass. After you practice let the paint dry and scap it of with a razor blade. It's a lot less mess the cleaning it of with thinner.

#42 ·
41 kustom said:
There are lots of places on line to buy brushes and paint. Look a the Mack Brush site. I think they have a list of dealers, If not look under pinstriping supplys. I bought a Mack 10 type brush to start. It's the most common. Mine was a 000 size. Paint can maybe bought locally { maybe a brush also} from a art store. You will need some low oder mineral spirits for cleaning your brush and thinning the paint, use oil to put on your brushes when you store them. There are better people on this site that can idvise you better than I can, they might chime in here. Let me know how its going. As far as what to practice on, I use a peice of glass. After you practice let the paint dry and scap it of with a razor blade. It's a lot less mess the cleaning it of with thinner.
Hopefully Ill be able to start soon, I also just joined to Kustom Kulture Lounge and they seem to have a lot of things about pinstriping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.