Pinstriping - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2004, 10:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pinstriping

Hey. does anyone know any websites that have printable stencils for any type of pinstriping patterns. I want to eventually put a pinstripe pattern on my motorcycle, but I want to practice first and see how it comes out. I've seen printable skull and flame patterns, but nothing for pinstriping. i also had a couple other questions. I would prefer to just have a stencil/mask that I could just paint in to get the pattern, but I was thinking of another idea too. If I printed out some pinstripe pattern on computer paper, how could I transfer that design onto the metal. I was thinking of gettng the design on the metal somewhere, either with chalk or whatnot, and then going over the design with pinstriping masking tape. Then I could just peel off the center clear section on the tape and paint inside the lines. Also, I tried to lay out a flame pattern with some thin masking tape, but it buckled around the corners. What size tape do you use for laying out the patterns and where do u get it. I've gone to autozone and sears, but they don't have anything narrower than what I was using. thanks.

zeek

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2004, 11:31 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

I think Eastwood has books that have samples from the different eras in pinstriping- I have an old book that has full page line drawings that you use for reference. If you try to mask it all and just paint the lines, the cutting and masking would be horrendous work! Just practice feehand- getting the paint to really flow- that's what striping is all about- the free movement of the line. If you really need a tape line use 3M sixteenth inch blue plastic from NAPA. Use good quality striping paint like OneShot and reduce well- and keep adding reducer as you stripe- practice, practice, practice and those designs become second nature- if I need a guide I use grease pencil, but don't stripe over it as it changes the color. It usually dissolves with the reducer, but does affect the tint. Hope this helps!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:16 PM

There is a book out by Craig Fraser, Pinstriping Masters, it is new out, may be useful to you. If you want to practice they suggest that you use a piece of glass with your pattern underneath. There are a few sites I have been in before with patterns, I will have to look them up..all my books are at another house so I can't get the website address, until a few weeks. Wish ya luck. Another way you may want to check into is going to a graphic shop and maybe getting vinyl, however doing the pinstriping is more professional and will last longer. Wish ya all the best.

While we are on the pinstriping subject, does anybody know which hair is the best in a brush??!! I know camel hair is, but I am going to be buying my airbrushes from coastairbrush.com and they do not sell them.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:27 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Lotsa opinions on hair quality- artists usually state Sable as best (mink), Camel next (not from camels but invented by a French guy named Camel!) really from natural animals like squirrel, pony, goat or ox- then Hog- which are too coarse for automotive in my opinion, and synthetics which have evolved well in the past few years. I have many ranging from Sable to Badger and synthetics- just feel them and you can tell the differences. (Cheap ones lose their hair too quickly.)
Old 03-03-2004, 08:47 AM

pinstriper.com might,I haven't been to thier website in a long time.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:00 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

For laying out flames use 3M's blue Fine Line 1/8" wide tape. Autozone and Sears aren't going to carry it. You will need to order it on line or go to an automotive paint shop.
Getting the tape to lay down without buckling isn't hard if you work at it a little bit. You need to walk it around the corner using your fingers while stretching it just a little so it will follow the curve you have established. When doing tight corners I usually have to work the tape around it 3 or 4 times to get it to lay flat.
Mark

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.