Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinstriping

82K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  ratrod60apache 
#1 ·
Here's a pic of my first time pinstriping, it's not on a car, but on some cabinets figured a good place to practice.. I dont' think it's too bad for a first real attempt. everything else i've done has been taped before striping...
If anyone else has some pinstriping I think it would be cool to post it here, I've always loved pinstripe art..

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
one shot lettering enamel, bout 10 bucks a color for half pint. which would last a long time.. mineral spirits and a couple mack pinstriping brushes... it doesn't cost much to get started.. and for what I was doing I had to have 4 exact copies.. so i used my masking paper,, drew it out, and ran over it with a pounce wheel.. which i borrowed, it put's little holes in the paper.. ok then center the design and what I did was put baby powder in a old sock. dabbed it on the paper. then pulled the paper off, and then i had a rough design to follow, and could keep the pattern the same.. worked great.. but it's still hard to keep a consistant line thickness and follow the pattern with the long brush.. in time i'll get better..but give it a try, it's fun.. hope someone else post some pics.

#4 ·
Fat freddy of maine

HEy that's cool. and to any one else who's hankerin' just do it. don't worry about a shakey hand. if ya just relax and let out your breath , and hold it out for each stroke, it will get steadier.
the Idea is to make them strokes on the quick side. I"m so shakey , i tell my pals they can call me "BROKEN BRUSH" , but it comes with doin' it. and it don't matter how good you are, if you love doin' IT then you'll keep at it and get better. that's just the plain truth. "FAT" out in the garage..........

#13 ·
Just to get started pinstriping..get some mack brushes of various sizes and one can use any kind of brushable paint even the hdwre store stuff and get with it ..stripe the mailbox, the toolbox, the furniture or anything else around that can use some striping..

Before you know it you are pin striping..

OMT

#14 ·
I have to admit that I'm a lil dissapointed that there are no pro's on here givin tips or showin work.... i'd love to see some examples... even if it's not the best..[/QUOTE]

unfortunately pinstriping is somewhat of a dying art. as time goes on there are less and less pinstripers out there. you will find most of good pinstripers are old as dirt and have been doing it for years and years. hopefully with the increase in the custom scene over the past few years it will get revived a little.

#15 ·
Actually I am not sure that the pinstriping and artistry are exactly dying as I have seen quite a few fellows doing just that at the cars shows and swap meets I attend..Seems it takes a bit of desire and some talent to do that...

OMT

#18 ·
fat freddy

HEy guys I appreciate that ya dig my first attempt on my Buddies RAT harley,
but that a pretty shiotty piece, and it was still a totalt to do.
So and remember i have been pushin' brushes for alot of years, just not much srtippin'
BUt ya gotyta want to do it.
and then just chill down and stripe anythuing ya kan find,
and you will be fair.
I was strippin' when i was 14 yerars old, but just thought I sucked at it,
then recently i tpp was at a show and saw a dude , layin' down lines , and he was makin' some good bucks! well after closer inspection of his stuf I thought ,
GEEEWIZZEE FAT and went home and dug out my brushes again and had at it.
now i'm the local stripperand i can afford coffee too.
so you kids just go play in yer garage , and turn off that bdamned TV and you'll be famous some day...
FAT freddy has said it.

#19 ·
I've seen the striping that Phoenix does before, she's rather good. Having only done a little so far I'm not going to show you all just yet.
I've spent the last 20 years as a graphic artist using both ink, paint, brushes and of course a macintosh, and the best advice for a would be striper is to 'look where you are going'. Having started pulling a line, look beyond the brush to where you intend to finish. That helps with getting your line where you want it. Ask any motorcyclist, look for the point you wish to arrive at, and you'll get there!

#21 ·
That's a nice design, open and clean.

Here's my first attempt, I just sold my car so turned to my cycle helmet instead.

It's only about 53°F here but I still had trouble with the paint. It seemed thin, so as I was hovering over the start point, I dripped! Still, this is of course the first of many - lots of practice to come!

#26 ·
tools of the trade....

I bought a bugaler (sp?) pinstriping tool....its a tube with a wheel on one end....you fill it with about a 1/4 ounce of one shot paint and draw away....I paid about $100 for the whole kit with special guides to keep spacing to edges right and more....I practice with testors model paint on a book of notebook paper or art book...After a evening of playing you will feel like a pinstriping god....most of all the steady hand is not as important and the wheels always put down a steady width line. at the end of a run if you angle the wheel up on its side you can taper off the line to a skinny...Its the perfect tool for outlining flames...I just laid out my first flame job on a 28' Chevy pickup a few weeks ago and its sweet looking now...
A local pinstriper kept putting this guy off and he really wanted to get his flames laid out....Well I do chemical sales and stopped by this shop that was going to spray them once they were laid out...I said "I can draw flames, I do it all the time on paper" He said "Do it" so I used a china pencil and laid out the flames, The painter masked it and then another pro-pinstriper outlined them in lime green....they look killer now and the Pro guy said I did a awesome job for my first layout on a actual car. The pickup was at a show memorial weekend and tons of people loved the flame job...I may get into this alot more now since I enjoyed it so much.

#27 ·
Very nice work....all around.......

I've been contemplating getting into this as I've been painting and doing graphics for a long time. I've drawn since I was back in my pre-teen years and I'm 50 now. I started applying the paint & graphics work on sportbikes mainly, back in the early 90's.

Many of the vinyl graphics were very good, but they kind of looked "made", or prefabricated, so I decided to start applying more paint work.
The hand painted pin striping would be a great extension in being able to accent much of the other work, so I thought I'd start in.
I love my airbrush, but a good pinstriping outline is hard to beat.

Again nice work...........

Bob

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.