Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hot Rod Art (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hot-rod-art/)
-   -   Pinstriping (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/pinstriping-75397.html)

chadsbodyshop49119 12-04-2005 11:27 PM

Pinstriping

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of my first time pinstriping, it's not on a car, but on some cabinets figured a good place to practice.. I dont' think it's too bad for a first real attempt. everything else i've done has been taped before striping...
If anyone else has some pinstriping I think it would be cool to post it here, I've always loved pinstripe art..

Uncle Terry 12-05-2005 09:22 AM

That looks amazing for a first time. I would love to start pinstriping but lack the equipment and the seady hand. Any tips on the equipment and skills etc?

chadsbodyshop49119 12-05-2005 10:58 AM

one shot lettering enamel, bout 10 bucks a color for half pint. which would last a long time.. mineral spirits and a couple mack pinstriping brushes... it doesn't cost much to get started.. and for what I was doing I had to have 4 exact copies.. so i used my masking paper,, drew it out, and ran over it with a pounce wheel.. which i borrowed, it put's little holes in the paper.. ok then center the design and what I did was put baby powder in a old sock. dabbed it on the paper. then pulled the paper off, and then i had a rough design to follow, and could keep the pattern the same.. worked great.. but it's still hard to keep a consistant line thickness and follow the pattern with the long brush.. in time i'll get better..but give it a try, it's fun.. hope someone else post some pics.

Fat Freddy 12-11-2005 09:40 PM

Fat freddy of maine

HEy that's cool. and to any one else who's hankerin' just do it. don't worry about a shakey hand. if ya just relax and let out your breath , and hold it out for each stroke, it will get steadier.
the Idea is to make them strokes on the quick side. I"m so shakey , i tell my pals they can call me "BROKEN BRUSH" , but it comes with doin' it. and it don't matter how good you are, if you love doin' IT then you'll keep at it and get better. that's just the plain truth. "FAT" out in the garage..........

Fat Freddy 12-11-2005 10:08 PM

fat freddy

1 Attachment(s)
here's a pic of my first pinstripe job. and i was just messin around, My pal came by and asked if i'd mess on his RAT harley.

mrcleanr6 12-12-2005 03:30 PM

i know right where you guys are commin from. being a custom painter and no pinstripers around i was forced to teach myself how to do it. i had no choice. my graphics had to get outlined. at first i was shakey and the line thickness would vary alot but after doing it for about 3 years now i pretty much got it down. i still look at my stuff and think its bad, but then i goto a chopper show and look at some of the other work and find mine is better than 70% of the stuff out there so it makes me feel better. so far i only really outline graphics. i havent been able to do any of the line art stuff. just haven't had a call for it.

chadsbodyshop49119 12-18-2005 10:21 PM

Yea I agree with ya.. if you go to the shows and pay attn: you start to realize how it's not a perfect art... if they are not 100% perfect they still look good IMO.. plus I think i'll enjoy the challenge of getting better as I go..

chadsbodyshop49119 12-18-2005 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Freddy
here's a pic of my first pinstripe job. and i was just messin around, My pal came by and asked if i'd mess on his RAT harley.

Looks good.. anybody else have any pics or tips to post??

SteelPhoenix 12-23-2005 07:31 PM

I only WISH my first attempt looked that good. :D

chadsbodyshop49119 12-24-2005 12:38 AM

Hey thanks.... I try my best... But I have to admit that I'm a lil dissapointed that there are no pro's on here givin tips or showin work.... i'd love to see some examples... even if it's not the best..

SteelPhoenix 12-24-2005 02:06 AM

Well, I'm definitely not the best, but I've been pinstriping for a little over a year.

Here's a couple recent things...

http://onfinite.com/libraries/613099/7a9.jpg

http://onfinite.com/libraries/613100/077.jpg

chadsbodyshop49119 12-24-2005 12:31 PM

sweet.. that looks good.... keep at it and soon everybody will want youdoing theirs
your lines look pretty consistent too... good job

OneMoreTime 12-24-2005 01:53 PM

Just to get started pinstriping..get some mack brushes of various sizes and one can use any kind of brushable paint even the hdwre store stuff and get with it ..stripe the mailbox, the toolbox, the furniture or anything else around that can use some striping..

Before you know it you are pin striping..

OMT

mrcleanr6 12-26-2005 09:48 PM

I have to admit that I'm a lil dissapointed that there are no pro's on here givin tips or showin work.... i'd love to see some examples... even if it's not the best..[/QUOTE]

unfortunately pinstriping is somewhat of a dying art. as time goes on there are less and less pinstripers out there. you will find most of good pinstripers are old as dirt and have been doing it for years and years. hopefully with the increase in the custom scene over the past few years it will get revived a little.

OneMoreTime 12-26-2005 10:04 PM

Actually I am not sure that the pinstriping and artistry are exactly dying as I have seen quite a few fellows doing just that at the cars shows and swap meets I attend..Seems it takes a bit of desire and some talent to do that...

OMT