Pinting door hinges - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2009, 02:12 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting door hinges

I was wondering what the best way is to paint the door hinges? I have a 68 firebird and wanted to remove the door hinges and paint them seperately in order to ensure that I get the whole hinge painted (hang it on a hook from a rack then paint it). I was studying them recently while they were bolted to the car and it looked to me like I wasnt going to be able to get the door hinges completely covered with a nice coat of paint. Im a newer painter so I am not skilled enough to spray glass right out of the gun......so that worries me too when it comes to painting the hinges if they were bolted to the car. Plus I really want to try and paint them a gloss black with the rest of the car being red (I dont know why ).

Plus it seems to me that the hinges are prone to having the paint chip or crack etc so I was wondering if its best to epoxy them and then go straight to the single stage urethane Im going to use or ?

Any guidance or help on this is appreciated. Thx

Advertisement

Last edited by esahlin; 06-05-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2009, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

What I normally do is take them off and blast them down to metal. Then shoot them with epoxy primer. Then spray the paint while epoxy is still in its open window, which would mean no sanding them at all. Sure beats trying to sand a hinge with all the nooks and crannys well enough, and the likelyhood of paint chipping off because something wasn't sanded well enough.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

Thx Kenseth17!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
One thing you need to remember, if you paint them off the car, let the paint gun "see" them as you will see them on the car!

Don't make the mistake of hanging them and painting them so when you put them on the car there are funky spots where you see them, and the back side looks perfect.

And you are rolling your eyes because of the obvious, think again. I have seen guys do this over and over. I have painters I work with who will do this over and over and over. They will paint a hood hinge and then after it's on the car have to spot paint some bare spot on it.

It is simple, hang it so it is OPEN as you would see it on the car (you don't see your hinges when they are closed right?) AND hang it so you are spraying it as you see it on the car. Sure, get the back side all nice and all too. But if you let the paint gun see it as you will on the car you KNOW it will look good.

Brian
Old 06-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Last photo:

Ah....very good advice Martinsr.....I'm almost positive I probably would have muffed it up like you described happens to some guys.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.