Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - pipe pvc or not
Thread: pipe pvc or not
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 08:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Any kind of plastic will be a bad choice because of moisture even if it does not have safety issues. Heat dissipation to condense the water vapor contained in the hot air from the compressor is a big factor for a piping system in both design and material and in that respect plastic would be a poor choice. In terms of safety PVC is a known hazard and many injuries have resulted from it's use, so many accidents have happened that it has been banned for use for pressurized gases (including air) by both OSHA and IMSHA. PVC is relatively brittle and gets even more so with age, exposure to sunlight and oils in compressed air so it's dangerous when first installed and gets worse with age. Other types of plastics used for pipe may not be as brittle and in fact I don't know of any that would tend to disintegrate into shrapnel like PVC but I might be wrong about that, maybe someone here with some plumbing experience could weigh in on that one. In any case I think plastic would be a bad choice just because of the moisture issue but if that's not a problem for the user and the pipe does not have the disintegration hazard of PVC then there may be some types of plastic that are safe to use.