piston ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 09:33 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

piston ?

I've read a post or two about dome piston's being not so good to use,in faver of the flat top piston's because of flame travel.Now im just wondering about the piston's i got from summit,wich are a set of Speed Pro-.030 hyper's with a .120 dome on top to coinside with the 76cc chambered head's that are for a 350 chevy s/b,witch will make atleast 9.3 c/r.I dont see were i'll notice the difference on the street in a daily driver pickup truck.This thing will problebly never see anything over 5,500 rpm's.(please advise)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Those new hyper/coated SpeedPros are awesome pistons. Good choice.

Those were the exact same piston I had picked for my new 350. 76cc heads too! LOL The machine shop is going to deck my block so the pistons are dead flush with the top of the block, so I had to go down to the flat top/ 2 valve relief. If you are using the stock block height, you should be fine on pump gas.

Mark
Old 09-10-2003, 09:45 PM

You might want to recheck the going down flush with the block due tto the fact that the pist does rock in the cylinder,plus depending on your gasket's your quench could get to tight.Now Summit told me that the 9.3 c/r piston's should be atleast .020 deck height.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:53 AM

Hello,

I deck a lot of engines with steel rods to a "0" deck, using at least a .039" thick head gasket. The theory is that with the deck that close you get much more "swirl" in the combustion chamber. It is supposed to cut down on detonation and requires less ignition timming.

Seems to work, and the exra compression with a a flat top is a real plus (some rules require a flat top). The reduced deck clearance is usually so replacement oversize pistons will not increase the static compression ratio over stock ( if the bore gets bigger with the same deck clearance the compression will be higher).

Thanks
Jeff

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.