Piston Crown Coating - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2007, 11:55 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Piston Crown Coating

Does any one remember the article that Car Craft did a while aback on the diy piston coating? Has anyone ever used it? What was the brand name of it? Would this or having the pistons re-anodized be best?I just put a bunch of my magazines away this morning
Thanks

Shane

Advertisement

Last edited by Chevrolet4x4s; 12-28-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

There have been magazine articles over the years (CT, CC, HR)for various types of coatings in various environments. Most likely for piston tops would be a TBC (Thermal Barrior Coating) or some ceramic type coating. Tech Line has a lot of different products for the DIY and shops. Most DIY is water based and some are only solvent based. Solvent based products require attention to warnings and proper ventilation/use etc. If you do this stuff yourself, you best heed the directions and not 'try' it your way. The stuff is pretty simple really, and if you follow the directions to the letter you may save a few bucks, or, you'll end up with a mess. Swain Tech is another company. Swain has shops around that will apply their stuff for you, taking the guess work and if's out of the deal. I have coated mine and others pistons and valve faces with Tech Line products and used their DFL on bearings, piston skirts and 'other' parts. It's not something you want to tackle if you're not prepared to take the time and steps to do it right. It's not magic, but if parts are prepped and products are used properly they should do the job they are designed to do. I'll definitely use them again.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:55 PM

I believe it was the Tech Line that I was talking about. Would the 3oz container do 8 piston crowns 4.06 bore as I can purchace it for less than I can have 1 piston coated. or would having them anodized be better for a turbo diesel application.
Shane
Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Tech Line has the Tech Line Coatings North American Approved Applicators page.

Yes, 3 Oz. will do more than two 8 piston sets.

In your 'turbo diesel application' the use of CBX would seemingly apply but I haven't any experience or knowledge of such coatings in your particular application. You might consider calling them. Depending on your application I think I'd opt for following what is most commonly used. I haven't seen the Thermoshield Piston below. My nephew in-law works for FM and has buddies in the performance stuff there. I'm going to email him and have him check some stuff out. If these exist they'd seem to be in line with what you'd be wanting.

Thermoshield???
Quote:
A line of high-strength Sealed Power and Speed-Pro pistons featuring a complex ceramic head coating technology that withstands combustion temperatures of up to 2000[degrees]F and delivers three times the surface hardness of hard-anodized coatings has reportedly been developed by Federal-Mogul Corp., Southfield, Mich.

Quote:
CBX is recommended for all High Compression (13:1 and higher), Turbo Charged, Super Charged or engines running Nitrous Oxide. CBC2 should be run on all other engines. Both CBC2 and CBX insulate the piston against damaging heat transfer, keeping more of the heat generated by combustion, pushing down on the piston for greater power. By retaining minimal heat on the surface of the piston, less heat is transferred to the incoming fuel mixture, leading to a reduction in pre-ignition which leads to detonation.

Exactly what turbo diesel would you be running?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:03 PM

6.5 Chevrolet diesel I have the oppertunity to get another set of pistons for free and some other parts so I might as well get them and have them machined to drop it to 18ish to 1 so I can run more boost and have heard of increases in economy (15% in a motorhome) by going to 18 to 1 pistons

1973-1974 Chevrolet short stepside
Tonneau cover.
Front air dam.
Rear roll pan.
Lowered around 4/5.
Ton sway bars.
Poly bushings.
Aligned real good.
T-56 6 speed.
Synthetic lube in the rear end.
Small mirrors.
Custom built headers for the turbos(plural).
GM-8 turbos. may go with one GM-8 and a little turbo off of a daytona or caravan..
3 inch downpipes.
3 inch or 3.5 inch NASCAR boom tubes with x pipe daul exit right under the steps no mufflers for as long as I can get away with it.
Daul front mount intercoolers.
Possibly a cowl hood to let air out of the engine compartment better.
Free flowing air intake to the turbos.
Ported intake or maybe make custom Ram Logs similar to this(which should deliver the best economy).

May go with rear disc brakes.
May do a partial bellypan.
Daul electric fans.
Polish up the exhaust ports a little.
40ish psi in the tires
No A/C (I hate ac in a vehicle..gives me headaches)
And a slick shiney black paint job.

Shane
Old 12-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

Shane ,
sounds like you have a plan well mapped out.
I do mean well.
But you forgot the fuzzy dice.
No vehicle is complete without the fuzzies.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 PM

Yeah got it pretty well planned out I did forget the fuzzys though didnt I, got a pile of freebie parts today and am going to have a friend machine the pistons down to 18:1 for me so I can run more boost and get better economy(diesels are great modify them to an extent and gain power and economy) Here's the grille I'm gonna use Repairing, Rejuvenating & Restoring a Plastic Grille

Shane

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.