piston help, and or ring help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
malibu, 3rd gen camaro lover

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

piston help, and or ring help

building my first motor. got the crank just put in and plastigauged. anyways 406, 2 bolt man '509' casting. didnt' cement it (pro touring kinda of car/daily driver) so I didn't want to jepordize heating. expecitn 450-500hp. using a 5.7" rod.

right now I have KB silvolite hyperutectic pistons. which my boss said he doesnt like to use. because hyperutectic doesn't expand blah blah blah. but said not to be too leary as its not a wild combination.

they are domes. I believe the box said with a 72cc chamber head, I will make 11:1 compression. I want this to be able to run on 92-94 octane. I'm wondering if this is still obaintable? i will realistically use a dart iron eagle 200 cc intake runner head. w/ 76cc chambers. I was thinking of maybe using a thick head gasket, but was reading on the KB pamphlet about quench. and that the closer the piston to the head the lest detonation will occur? they make it sound like a .035" quench is desirable with steel rods tight bearings and pistons.

and my second real question is ring gap if I keep to use these pistons. they give a chart to decifer what the top oil ring should be set at. the formula is bore x gap factor. so bore is 4.155 and for a 'street normally aspired' the factor is .0065 which resulbs to a .027" ring gap.

however I was figuring perhaps I should use the 'drag and street gasoline' factor which is .0075 and results in a ring gap of .031"

they say to use the recomended factory specs for the secoind ring, dont know what that is though? any have an idea?

and how to situate the rings? I believe that if I remember right my boss had me doing the oil ring on bottom at 8 oclock, the expander 6 oclock, and the next oil ring 4 oclock, the 2nd top ring at 12 oclock and the top ring at 6 oclock?

anyone verify this, differnt motor so might be differnet?

cheers

blake

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2005, 07:17 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

I would say 11:1 would be pushing it on pump gas, can't speak much about the heads and the quench, but I can on the rings. I just installed KB Silvolite hypers (flat tops) in my 327 (.030 over) and have no problems at all, I have 64cc heads. As far as the ring gaps go, my setup would have been the same as yours .027 I took mine to .029, two thousands is not alot for the extra security not to break the ring land. I would go with .029 if I were you. I think .031 may be too much. I bought the sealed power pre-gapped so I put the second ring in as is, no filing. KB reccomended that you not align the top ring and the second ring on the same plane as the pin. So I put them 12 and 6. The two thin oil rings I put at 3 and 9 and just made sure the oil ring did not match up to either of the thinner two. I think the second ring stock is .018-.025 if I remeber right.

Last edited by NOlowrider; 12-08-2005 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:25 PM
malibu, 3rd gen camaro lover

Last photo:

alright thanks for the tip man

so what if i use these pistons, there rated 11:1 at 72 cc's.... I would be using 76cc. big whoppdie but hey.... make it close right. and then if i went with AFR 195's they'd be aluminum. think i'd be able to use pump gas then? keep in mind. canada gas tends to be better quality than americna for rating ( I live in canada right on the boarder, I DO NOT BUY american gas as its octane ratign doesn't seem to be as true as canadian ratings)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.