Piston replacement because of stupidity! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2002, 02:36 AM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy Piston replacement because of stupidity!

OK I know you should always check before you fire up your engine but I forgot. here's the deal, I bought a used 350 engine to put in my 57 Chevy while my stroker motor was in the shop. And being the person I am I can't leave well enough alone. I had to put on a chrome oil pan, chrome valve covers, chrome alternator, headers, and a Edelbrock intake and this is where the trouble begin I put on the Edelbrock intake which was used, I had water getting in my oil, I guess it's warped, so I put the stock manifold back on and somehow a bolt (I don't know where it came from I had none missing), got into one of the intake ports of the head and wound up getting stuck between the valve and the head. It chewed up the top of the piston a little, Luckily I had just pulled up at my Garage when the noise begain. I haven't checked the valve seat yet but I'm going to. My Question is: can I just replace the piston that got chewed up a little? if so do I use the old rings and rod bearings? I have a piston like the ones that are in the engine, it even has new rings on it. Could I use that? I also have another set of heads I can use if the valve seat on that one is messed up. Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 05:18 AM

It is OK to replace just the 1 piston. I would use the new rings since you have them. Use the original rod & inserts if they look OK. The replacement piston should be of the same design as the others. ie. flat top or dish. Phil
Old 11-21-2002, 02:03 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

should be okay too, but i'd change the rod bearings cause they only cost a coupla bucks and check your crank journal w/a mic. why not? if your new piston has rings on it already dont mess with em.

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]
if the cross hatch pattern has miles on it you may want to re-hone some. but you might not have done much damage at all if you turned it off right when it began makin noise and the bolt got stuck in the valve and didnt bounce around inside the cylinder. what if it's a little ding? youll be tempted to leave it alone. then you have to ask yourself "do I feel lucky?" and how long is it going to be in this car anyway? most everybody will say change the piston if there is any marks on it whatsoever, but you did say this was just a temp engine.? i.e., you can treat it like a red-headed step child.

[ November 21, 2002: Message edited by: bullheimer ]</p>
Old 11-22-2002, 02:27 AM
Dream as if you'll live 4ever

Last photo:

It looks like the bolt may have bounced around a bit, when I pulled the head off the top half of the piston looks as if it did, the piston is all the way to the top so I can't see if there is any damage to the cylinder wall yet . I plan on pulling the piston this weekend to find out. The piston I have to replace it with also has a rod on it, Should I use the rod that's on it or have it pressed off and the rod on the bad piston pressed on? the piston and rod are used but in very good shape with new rings. slight surface rust where it was sitting in my garage for a few years. The engine ran so strong I thought about leaving it in and finding a 30's roadster to put the stroker in.

[ November 22, 2002: Message edited by: Rodrunner ]</p>

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.