Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Piston ring choices - Iron Vs Moly Vs Chrome
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Piston ring choices - Iron Vs Moly Vs Chrome

I am working on overhauling my engine and I see three choices of piston rings. Standard Iron rings, Moly rings, and Chrome rings.

What are the pros and cons of each? The way I understand it is that the iron rings will seat faster than moly rings, but wont last as long. I dont know anything about the chrome rings.

What are the cons of it taking longer for the moly rings to seat?

I don't know if it matters or not but the engine is a (currently) stock Ford 302 in an 87 F150. It will not exactly be a race/high performance engine but i want increased torque for pulling a trailer, and longevity. The engine uses a speed density EFI system so it will probably not see excessive changes, unless i convert to mass air.

I do plan to use a Comp Cams 31-255-5 cam and lifter kit, possibly gt40 heads (maybe even shaved some for a little extra compression), and a set of headers. Everything else will be stock (intake, pistons, bearings, oil pump, timing set, pushrods, rocker arms, rods, crank, etc)