Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Piston ring choices - Iron Vs Moly Vs Chrome
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454 View Post
So what would you recommend for a Std OEM bore with Std OEM pistons and little wear on both? There is no ridge in the cylinder wall but there is some minor scratches that you cant feel with your fingernail.

I'm gathering from all the posts that I should use either Iron or Moly, but not sure exactly which. I may decide to just leave the rings alone as good as the cylinders are (no ridge, no smoke, plugs are light brown in color, compression was 165-175psi across the board)

Thanks for the info!
If you take apart a good running with miles on it and put it back together it will smoke every time. The rings never seat back in well the second time around. It at least needs rings. Why not just order oem replacement rings. These will be the correct rings for your unbored engine. If you find out the rings are about 300 bucks from all mfgr then you can bet they are low tension steel rings. And your stock bore has been prepared for those types of rings. Best to go with oem when your not sure.

Do the scratches go from top to bottom or cross each other at an angle. Scratches from top to bottom that can be seen is the reason cylinders a bored. I would bet your going to need to have it bored to make it right.