Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Piston ring choices - Iron Vs Moly Vs Chrome
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
If you take apart a good running with miles on it and put it back together it will smoke every time. The rings never seat back in well the second time around. It at least needs rings. Why not just order oem replacement rings. These will be the correct rings for your unbored engine. If you find out the rings are about 300 bucks from all mfgr then you can bet they are low tension steel rings. And your stock bore has been prepared for those types of rings. Best to go with oem when your not sure.

Do the scratches go from top to bottom or cross each other at an angle. Scratches from top to bottom that can be seen is the reason cylinders a bored. I would bet your going to need to have it bored to make it right.
So far the pistons and rings haven't been removed from the block. So they should be ok. And yes the scratches are up and down in the cylinder. Odd that there is no ridge tho. I may just leave it alone. I really only wanted to take it apart to have the block cleaned up and put in new cam bearings. I can replace the main and rod bearings with the rods and pistons in place.