Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Piston ring choices - Iron Vs Moly Vs Chrome
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

In you original post, you said you're looking for some more torque and longevity. If you have vertical scratches and you do not bore, then you are dramatically cutting into the longevity.

You said you're looking at swapping the heads and cam. I think it would be crazy spending the amount of money you're planning on spending without doing the job completely. I'm quite confident (not guaranteeing) that if you don't bore it now, then you'll be either pulling it back apart later or adding oil often.

I'm sure many of the guys here have been burnt by not doing the job right the 1st time - ME INCLUDED. The 1st engine I rebuilt was my wife's daily driver. I did it 3 months after I changed the timing belt. I replaced the timing belt because it was in poor condition and past the recommeded replacement interval. Also, the service manual recommeded rebuilding the oil pump at the same time - I said the heck with messing with the oil pump. 3 months later the pressure reilief plunger spring in the oil pump broke and, I mentioned this was my wife's car, she tried to make it home with the 'oil' light on. You can figure out the rest.

I was in my early 20's at the time, it was an 85 Park Ave with a 3.8, and I was trying to save a few dollars. Well, I did for a few months. I lived, I learned. I wish there were forums like this around back then to set me straight. Maybe some others can chime in and agree or disagree with me, but I'm saying find a machine shop you trust and do it right the 1st time.

Good luck