Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Piston ring damage
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Old & Furious

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfreshwater View Post
How long would it take to damage the piston rings & motor by driving a short distance in cold cold weather.Could driving a car every morning at 8:00a.m. in freezing winter weather for 2 or 3 weeks damage the motor & piston rings? Also, my car is losing a half quart of oil per week sometimes but theres no blue smoke & just got a new oil pan (but it was not dripping oil on floor before that) so I was told the oil is going out the tail pipe which appears to be lined with black shoe polish.So, second question is how many more miles do you think I can get out of this 93 Topaz?I just spent 850 on the oil pan,water pump, & fuel filter.By the way, I am not a man.
Did it get hot when the water pump went out? Might be the head gaskets leaking. In a 93 topaz i would not want to put too much money into the car.

Topaz is the same as a tempo right? Might want to think about a new car its at least a good time to buy. Hyundai makes great cheap cars. Hondas are very reliable. Sorry i dont have any good advice for fixing it. But its sounds like its back to the shop and may not be worth it in the long run motor can be replaced with one froma junk yard pretty cheap and is usally the best deal going. My local junk yard does the work as well and gives a warranty if they install. Trans may not last to many more years either if the motor is shot. Kinda depends on how much you want or need to keep the car.

Fyi that is a strange group of things to need replaced at the same time. Has the car been sitting for a long while?