Piston ring damage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 12:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Piston ring damage

How long would it take to damage the piston rings & motor by driving a short distance in cold cold weather.Could driving a car every morning at 8:00a.m. in freezing winter weather for 2 or 3 weeks damage the motor & piston rings? Also, my car is losing a half quart of oil per week sometimes but theres no blue smoke & just got a new oil pan (but it was not dripping oil on floor before that) so I was told the oil is going out the tail pipe which appears to be lined with black shoe polish.So, second question is how many more miles do you think I can get out of this 93 Topaz?I just spent 850 on the oil pan,water pump, & fuel filter.By the way, I am not a man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 01:27 PM

If you have a good and honest mechanic near by,get that tech to look at it. They have a tool called a " leak down tester" and they can gather a lot of info from this.There are so many variables its hard to say,,,,
Old 12-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

Absolutely no damage. If it has the proper oil and coolant. Systems working OK. Michigan people start em up at down to -20 degreesF and drive them to work quite often. During the winter season.

We don't know the present miles. But, these motors, un abused, with proper maintainence, go well into the 2 hundred thou figures.

How many miles on this 1/2 quart of oil usage? Older cars will use some oil. Abused ones use more.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfreshwater View Post
How long would it take to damage the piston rings & motor by driving a short distance in cold cold weather.Could driving a car every morning at 8:00a.m. in freezing winter weather for 2 or 3 weeks damage the motor & piston rings? Also, my car is losing a half quart of oil per week sometimes but theres no blue smoke & just got a new oil pan (but it was not dripping oil on floor before that) so I was told the oil is going out the tail pipe which appears to be lined with black shoe polish.So, second question is how many more miles do you think I can get out of this 93 Topaz?I just spent 850 on the oil pan,water pump, & fuel filter.By the way, I am not a man.
Did it get hot when the water pump went out? Might be the head gaskets leaking. In a 93 topaz i would not want to put too much money into the car.

Topaz is the same as a tempo right? Might want to think about a new car its at least a good time to buy. Hyundai makes great cheap cars. Hondas are very reliable. Sorry i dont have any good advice for fixing it. But its sounds like its back to the shop and may not be worth it in the long run motor can be replaced with one froma junk yard pretty cheap and is usally the best deal going. My local junk yard does the work as well and gives a warranty if they install. Trans may not last to many more years either if the motor is shot. Kinda depends on how much you want or need to keep the car.

Fyi that is a strange group of things to need replaced at the same time. Has the car been sitting for a long while?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 PM

No, it did not get hot.The oil pan was about to start dripping & I don"t want any oil on my drive-way because I paid 9,000 dollars for the drive-way cement & the water pump was leaking ,also, so that is why that was re-placed.Then when I went to pick up the water pump I mentioned to the salesperson that it had stalled a few times & she suggested it might be the fuel pump ,so I bought one& took it with me back to the repair shop & they probably just put it in because I had it but,maybe, I didn"t need it. Anyway, my car does not stall anymore & everything is fixed except when I first start it up the tensioner belt makes a slight "chirping" sound.I was told they should have re-placed the water pump belt when the water pump was re-placed but that was not done. I know I need a new car because I was told that last year because the bottom is rusting out but a little caulk keeps the wetness out(my idea) & it really works,however, this one rides better than the new ones I drove. I drove a new Focus,Fusion,& Hyundi & when I got back in my Topaz it was a relief(like being back in the saddle again.)The Hyundi salesman even drove my Topaz because I asked him if he could figure out why I liked it better ,& all he said was that it needed new struts which it doesn"t. I know it won"t last forever but I was just wondering how long it might last.I am really worried because I had to add half a quart of oil after driving only about 300 miles.The motor sounds ok & it doesn"t sound old or unusual.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

The leak down test will tell you a lot about the engine.

But first, I would drive it another 300 miles, and see if it needs another 1/2 quart of oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:
coldfreshwater (12-16-2012)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.