Piston Ring End Gap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Piston Ring End Gap

Hello I have a sbc 400 thats bored .40 using a standard eagle crank that im building. Im at the step now where im trying to check the piston ring end gap before i install the pistons. The instructions with rings says "check end gap .004 per 1" bore diameter is the minimum" So what im trying to find out is what is my bore? Bore x .004 =

I able to fit .016 on the feeler gauge into the end gaps.

Also I have speed pro h616cp .040 pistons..I cant find the instructions i looked all over google. Im trying to find instructions that show the ring end gap position while installing the piston.

Please help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 12:13 PM

If i remember correctly a stock 400 sbc has a bore of 4.125 so being .040 over you should be at 4.165. As for ring gaps i put them 30 degrees from the piston pin make sure they are staggered. 0.016 ring gap should be ok for a mild street engine IMO.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Last photo:

.016 top ring and .018-.020 second ring will be good for a street/strip application.. a good formula for this is Bore X .0045 top ring Bore X .0050 second ring... now for mild nitrous or turbo go .005 bigger... hope this helps a bit.. some guys like there ring gaps different depending on there intended use.. but this is a good basic gaps thats commonly used
Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandprix601
Hello I have a sbc 400 thats bored .40 using a standard eagle crank that im building. Im at the step now where im trying to check the piston ring end gap before i install the pistons. The instructions with rings says "check end gap .004 per 1" bore diameter is the minimum" So what im trying to find out is what is my bore? Bore x .004 =

I able to fit .016 on the feeler gauge into the end gaps.

Also I have speed pro h616cp .040 pistons..I cant find the instructions i looked all over google. Im trying to find instructions that show the ring end gap position while installing the piston.

Please help
Standard 400 SBC bore = 4.125" plus 0.040" overbore = 4.165"

4.165" bore X 0.004" = 0.0166, or rounded up, 0.017" minimum end gap. If the 0.016" feeler fits w/o friction, AND the ring is square in the bore, the end gap is sufficient for "normal" use. Place a ring in the bore, then use a piston inserted upside down into the bore to square the ring.

Generally, unless your instructions say otherwise, the second ring should be gapped 0.004" to 0.008" wider than the top ring according to Carrillo. Minimum of 0.015" for the oil ring rails, do not file them.

Also be aware that there are pistons like some made by Keith Black that use a wider top ring gap than what is normally recommended by ring manufacturers. So be sure to check the piston manufacturer's instructions to see if they differ from the ring manufacturer's instructions.

There are several different thoughts on end gap placement, the following diagram will work fine:

Ring end gap location.

Last edited by cobalt327; 06-02-2012 at 10:06 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.