Piston rings are stuck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Piston rings are stuck

The piston rings in my 1968 Chevy step-side have stuck, I have been told that I could take my spark plugs out spray pb blaster in each plug hole and turn it over and it would un-stick them but I do not want to try this without being sure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

How do you know they're stuck?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:36 PM

I went out and turned it over it turned over just fine 4-5 times then it wouldn't turn at all. So I myself am assuming that's what it is because it has indeed been sitting for a while and I checked the oil it was just barely on the end of the dipstick so i'd say the carbon build up has them stuck. May be wrong.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:44 PM
Fought beside and with you 92'

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

So they instantly rusted/carboned in place after turning over 4 times. Intresting, personally look elsewhere for the problem.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:53 PM

No offense intended sir, but I was just asking a simple question and there is no reason to act that way. It has been sitting for 10 years, it was my grandfathers and he gave it to me I just started messing with it last week and in that time I have rebuilt my q-jet carb put a full tune up on it put oil in it and I am only 16 so I was just asking because I am indeed inexperienced with certain things on vehicles but I know what i'm doing. I was thinking about just rebuilding the engine for I have motor lifts and all that I need to disconnect my tranny, unhook the radiator and take it out but I was just wanting to know if there was a more simple way of doing it, I know what to do and how to do it I was just wanting a more professional opinion first.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM

big,what engine is it?try taking out the plugs and turning it over by hand.did you put any oil down the bores? Did the engine run well when it was parked? any info will help get you started
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 PM

Last photo:

Settle down no harm was meant. Just my way of passing on ideas. Humor usually breaks the ice and you can tell alot from the response.

V, is right can you turn it by hand?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 PM

It has a 350 4 bolt main on it and it has been bored out and has a cam on it and yes it ran like a top when it was parked back when, it will not turn by hand, and no I have not put any oil down the bores
Old 09-11-2012, 11:09 PM

Try turning the engine over by hand with a strong arm in both directions see what happends. Take the plugs out to make it easyer. Im assuming you used the starter last time?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 PM

I guess i was a little late on that one
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Last photo:

What will cause it to not turn over by hand plugs out...hmmm. You tuned it too, that usually means it was running fine. You filled it with oil and now it barrely has any. You can run a engine with the level touching the dipstick. Did the starter soleniod leave the bendix gear engauged in the flywhl.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 AM

No it didnt so I have no clue what's going on it went way over my head, I think it may just be time for a rebuild being that it is an older model and has been sitting for a while but it only has 75,000 miles it isn't the original engine but it came out of a 68 camaro
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

so it was just turning over fine and stopped? It doesn't have a thing to do with piston rings.

I would take a 1/2" ratchet and turn it over by hand, in either direction. Since it sat for a while you MAY have something that fell in the intake manifold and got sucked into the cylinder during cranking. Anything from a old crusty mouse to a stray nut or bolt could do it.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman123 View Post
The piston rings in my 1968 Chevy step-side have stuck, I have been told that I could take my spark plugs out spray pb blaster in each plug hole and turn it over and it would un-stick them but I do not want to try this without being sure.
Read this end to end, it's probably dry, the cylinder bores, pistons, and rings if it was turning then suddenly wouldn't. That's not to say other dastardly things couldn't go wrong after setting for 10 years but letís start simple.

There is no down side to spraying a penetrating oil into the cylinders from the spark plug holes other than if you get it started it will smoke a lot for quite a while, actually. Keep in mind that getting anything like an even coating on the bores is hard to do if not impossible but do your best to get the spray around the bore without losing the straw into the engine.

WD40, PJ1, Marvel Mystery, Free All, CRC, etc, whatever is in your neighborhood stores will work.

You could hydraulically lock the engine with too much oil in any one cylinder to where there's more oil than compression volume, but turning the engine with a wrench such a condition would just stop you, it wouldn't result in damage, different story if it's being spun with the starter motor. But that amount of oil especially from a spray can is a lot of oil, you should notice this. So just go easy, take your time. Let it set awhile, maybe over night, to give the oil a chance to flow out. Capillary action over a time period will actually let this stuff move against the forces of gravity into the higher bore sides.

Bogie
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

What method of turning it by hand are you using bigman?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.