Piston slap issue? (gen3 LS 5.3 SBC) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A 6 rotor is cool and all, but show me where I can get one for $220. And then where I can get a replacement engine for it when it blows for another $220. Also that doesn't exactly scream streetable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM

its expensiveto build a rotary that fast,especially w/o a turbo.
lots of junk yard engines can take boost for a while.The LS has decent head flow so it will make slightly more power than other V-8s.
A peripheral port rotary is no worse to drive than any V-8 thats N.A. and has a big solid roller cam
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
its expensiveto build a rotary that fast,especially w/o a turbo.
lots of junk yard engines can take boost for a while.The LS has decent head flow so it will make slightly more power than other V-8s.
A peripheral port rotary is no worse to drive than any V-8 thats N.A. and has a big solid roller cam
Assuming we are just talking straight line/street/strip stuff… I really think your comparing apples and oranges here. Rotaries are cool for what they are, but they can't compete with the streetability and HP per dollar invested of any modern small block v8. They typically do so well IMO because guys put them in 1900lb cars. Throw any modern v8 in the same weight chassis and I believe it will out perform the rotary dollar for dollar EVERY time.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:48 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed86 View Post
Assuming we are just talking straight line/street/strip stuff… I really think your comparing apples and oranges here. Rotaries are cool for what they are, but they can't compete with the streetability and HP per dollar invested of any modern small block v8. They typically do so well IMO because guys put them in 1900lb cars. Throw any modern v8 in the same weight chassis and I believe it will out perform the rotary dollar for dollar EVERY time.
There really is not comparison, the rotaries are really cool but they're not engines that can make big streetable power numbers. Nor can they put out 500hp and 25mpg for 100,000+ miles.

Its like comparing a 2 stroke racing bike engine to a new hemi- two completely different engines for two completely different applications.

I like the RX8's and still consider picking one up though- they are a neat little car.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM

QUOTE:
(At the Le Mans 24 hour endurance race in 1991 the 26B had significantly lower fuel consumption than the competing reciprocating piston engines. All competitors had the same amount of fuel available due to the Le Mans 24 hour limited fuel quantity rule.)[47]
this is only comparing racing engines,not street engines
Im not here to defend or promote the rotary. Its just a fact they exist and make a lot of power.
I personally use a V-8 in my car and its similar(looking) to the engine that came from the factory.I was only curious why you swapped out the rotary,thanks for answering.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
QUOTE:
(At the Le Mans 24 hour endurance race in 1991 the 26B had significantly lower fuel consumption than the competing reciprocating piston engines. All competitors had the same amount of fuel available due to the Le Mans 24 hour limited fuel quantity rule.)[47]
this is only comparing racing engines,not street engines
Im not here to defend or promote the rotary. Its just a fact they exist and make a lot of power.
I personally use a V-8 in my car and its similar(looking) to the engine that came from the factory.I was only curious why you swapped out the rotary,thanks for answering.
No worries just passing time at work...

I’ve driven and worked with alot of rotaries. I don't think a PP rotary engine is even remotely streetable. Down in south florida rotaries are crazy popular. I got to hang out with a lot of performance rotary guys when I lived in Palm Beach. Typical PP made around 240-250whp. They have a huge amounts of overlap causing them to idle poorly and they won’t run properly with any sort of restriction in the exhaust. (Muffler) They make poor almost unusable power below 5k due to poor CC filling and peak power above 9k. Making it nearly impossible to "cruise" one down the street.

Even the lowest of the low bone stock 4.8 produces more power/torque at much lower rpm and has a much wider useable power band. All without sacrificing idle, quiet exhaust, “streetability”.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:38 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceFed86 View Post
Comparing the Dollar per total HP/TQ output the LS has the rotary beat hands down. I'll be pushing 700hp with this setup if all goes well. I've seen over 900 at the wheels with a totally stock unopened 5.3 long block. When a rotary does that, let me know!

I paid $220 for this engine. I can go to any local junk yard and get another for about the same. No ones even heard of a rotary at the local yards here in podunk KS.

This sucker went 8.60 @ 167.9 mph. Untouched JY long block... Springs/cam/headgasket/boost.

LS. Rotary
Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 AM

Last photo:

Piston slap didn't seem to be an issue last night.

Went 9.83 @ 143. 17lbs of boost 16* of timing. Didn't rev it over 5500 rpm either!

Driven to and from the track.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

Sleeping at the line? j/k Lots going on in a turbo car.

Nice times, looks like a nice fun setup.

The later GEN 3 engines started getting coated skirts to help with the design issue. MY2003+ engines got the moly coated skirts.

Question. Did Maxda ever build a twin turbo 4 cylinder RX-7 in the 90's or 00's? Cylinder not rotary engine.

Thanks

peace
Hog
Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Sleeping at the line? j/k Lots going on in a turbo car.

Nice times, looks like a nice fun setup.

The later GEN 3 engines started getting coated skirts to help with the design issue. MY2003+ engines got the moly coated skirts.

Question. Did Maxda ever build a twin turbo 4 cylinder RX-7 in the 90's or 00's? Cylinder not rotary engine.

Thanks

peace
Hog
Thanks. Not sleeping so much as hiding. The guy next to me has a 1000 hp he was trying to get dialed in for the true "street radial" class. He was on a 275 60 futura and was all over the place! I wanted to let him go first.

No, rx-7's always had rotors. The 93+ had a newer twin turbo rotary 13b-rew.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 AM

rotary experimental

there was a brief time that mazda had the 323 AWD with a special turbo that was called a twin turbo but not sure exactly how it worked
even the twin turbo RX-7 actually only had 1 turbo,but it was like a 2 step turbo.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

I think your mistaken. It has two turbos. Worked with them plenty.

The Following User Says Thank You to ForceFed86 For This Useful Post:
vinniekq2 (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 09:57 AM

I had a turbo off one of the first 100 RX-7s that came to Canada,it was that long ago,thanks for the correction.They were all recalled and I grabbed one before it went into the compacter. ( I worked on the docks at that time and got a chance to drive most every car from Japan that came through the Nissan port)
I remember the boost started at 13-1500 rpm and you felt a big increase about 3000 rpm and the tires would break loose,(in first gear).It was all over at 6500 with the factory setting
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the answers guys. That lays that "rumour" to rest. The local Mazda dealership was supposed to have a super rare RX-7 for sale that was twin turboed, with a cylinder. This was in the early 90's when I was in high school.

peace
Hog

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.