Pistons for 327 blower application - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

What about a 5.850" rod, which will allow you to pick from the list of much more common 5.7" rod 350 pistons?

I believe Eagle makes the small journal 5.850" rod in thier SIR line, it happens to be the same rod used in 4.6L Ford Mod motor strokers. Eagle sells them for both SBC and Ford piston pin bore sizes

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

As for heads just going with a 882 or 487or 487x with some home porting.

this is a really bad idea that will cost you MORE money .

If you spend 1K on a decent high perf head to start with
you can build a simple LOW cost 7.6:1cr motor with the KB pistons
and MAKE WAY more horsepower at a modest safe goof proof boost level
that never even gets close to hurting a piston.
Than starting with a very poor head that has NO POWER at all
which will lead you to want to lean on it HARD with MORE BOOST
in an effort to make it fast.
You will end up with a busted motor before you get there $$$$$$$$$$

You will make a lot more power with a simple but good Brodix IK200 or Profiler 195cc head and 7psi boost than you will ever make with a 882 head and 12 psi boost.
Or even a 487x head with 12PSI boost. And you will lkely smoke a set of pistons learning how to do it.
How many 327's do you want to build? How many times do you want to fix it and upgrade it?
You can build 1 simple 327 now or 2-3-4-5 motors later.
Take all the moeny you will waste on non stock piston rod length and put it into the heads NOW. Use the off the shelf KB piston and 5.7" rods.
No special machining etc etc etc required.
You will go FASTER, LONGER the first time, for LESS MONEY!

using a 882 heads is a really BAD IDEA. They really suck.

The simple motor I purpose will cost less, run more reliabily , take more boost without detonation and make a TON MORE POWER.. without having to lean on it hard.

You ahve a really bad approach. A bad way to "Get started"

use GM 5.7" rod or Scat 5.7" rod. Put the best head on it you can afford...FIRST.
A simple motor with the right compression ratio and good heads IS BETTER and cheaper.

The only thing you need to know about using KB Hyper piston is READ THE FRIGGIN instructions and follow them.
They are very clear. The KB piston uses a bigger top rind end gap , and even bigger with a power adder.
Fit the piston rings as directed in the instructions.
The engine needs no fancy parts.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 04-29-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

You do have valid point point on heads
I'll just see what I can do and afford.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:44 AM

Last journal entry: Before the 6-71 cometh
Last photo:

Good heads are key on a blower motor! I run the Iron Eagle 200cc with 72cc chambers on a 355. Nice thick deck and doubt I will ever blow a head gasket. I am running 11psi boost and the car is pretty quick. If I had it to do over again, I would run the AFR's and get some weight off of the nose.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM

If you are choosing between a blower or good heads? The blower can wait.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:38 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
If you are choosing between a blower or good heads? The blower can wait.
I would argue for the exact opposite as forced induction can turn even the lowliest, most mundane engine into a real performer.

Heads definitely make an improvement too, but nothing like boost.

Heads, blower, and a cam would be an ideal swap combo though.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

no exception for boost

Last edited by 1932bantam; 05-02-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: changed my mind
Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

hey , been reading the complete thread firstly I have been where you are right now . about 6 yrs ago for me . battling with not great heads but have to have the 671 .

listen to f bird . I have read so many posts on forged pistons. don't go down that road. again the rebuild cost will be a lot higher when they brake. however if done correctly they will not brake . but make sure you READ the ring gaps on the kb pistons its CRUICIAL,

I have a thread going ( problems with running my supercharged 671 ) may be worth you reading it for 30 mins. lots of great info.

I have the 671 and will make 11psi boost with my puller combo. carbs then timing ,

you need good heads. don't listen to all that forced induction will cure cast head problems, I have seen a ls2 engine with tons of boost and not much horse power. a engine with lower boost and higher hp is flowing better. boost isn't everything. I bite the bullet and bought the edelbrock junior heads, kb hyper piston, mild crane street supercharged cam . and forged I beam rods. I have a +30 thou over bore and have 7.48-1 cr . its a very good combo with a low cr , you can be very safe with that cr - water meth inj is a must. good timing is a must. I opted for ecu and ditched the dizzy. as I can programme in knock sensors and all sorts of other warning triggers that will turn off the engine hrs before I get to hear or see the fault

but if budget is a issue then go safe. build it slowly ( its my 11th year and nothing broken yet ) research research research

listen to f bird . he calls a spade a spade , and will tell you how it is. there are also some other great people on here with some other advise that is very good aswell. I have had some great info. so please read more and research more before you choose. as its going to be expensive if you don't as you say you want to gain the experience, so don't learn by your mistake's. as with a blower its
The Following User Says Thank You to mustang 671 For This Useful Post:
67-4-fun (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang 671 View Post
hey , been reading the complete thread firstly I have been where you are right now . about 6 yrs ago for me . battling with not great heads but have to have the 671 .

listen to f bird . I have read so many posts on forged pistons. don't go down that road. again the rebuild cost will be a lot higher when they brake. however if done correctly they will not brake . but make sure you READ the ring gaps on the kb pistons its CRUICIAL,

I have a thread going ( problems with running my supercharged 671 ) may be worth you reading it for 30 mins. lots of great info.

I have the 671 and will make 11psi boost with my puller combo. carbs then timing ,

you need good heads. don't listen to all that forced induction will cure cast head problems, I have seen a ls2 engine with tons of boost and not much horse power. a engine with lower boost and higher hp is flowing better. boost isn't everything. I bite the bullet and bought the edelbrock junior heads, kb hyper piston, mild crane street supercharged cam . and forged I beam rods. I have a +30 thou over bore and have 7.48-1 cr . its a very good combo with a low cr , you can be very safe with that cr - water meth inj is a must. good timing is a must. I opted for ecu and ditched the dizzy. as I can programme in knock sensors and all sorts of other warning triggers that will turn off the engine hrs before I get to hear or see the fault

but if budget is a issue then go safe. build it slowly ( its my 11th year and nothing broken yet ) research research research

listen to f bird . he calls a spade a spade , and will tell you how it is. there are also some other great people on here with some other advise that is very good aswell. I have had some great info. so please read more and research more before you choose. as its going to be expensive if you don't as you say you want to gain the experience, so don't learn by your mistake's. as with a blower its
Right on yeah been exchanging pm.. I'll take a look at your thread. One way to learn is to do it.. You screw up you learn and fix it and move on..

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.