pistons? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2002, 10:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post pistons?

i have a 350 bored .080 over. I have never heard of .080 over cast pistons, and neither has anyone i have talked to. Are the pistons in my truck most likely hyper, or forged. Do they even make .080 cast piston. They are flat top pistons and the bottom end was built when i bought the truck so i have no idea. rebuilt the top end but couldn,t tell. I think either cast or hyper. Maybe stupid question but i need to know for future mods please give an opinion.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2002, 10:44 AM
SAE Member, ASE Master Cert.

Jahns Piston Company used to make a lot of cast pistons in sizes that weren't available from other sources. Jahns was located in Southern California, but I understand that they have gone out of business. .080" is pretty big overbore for a 350, as I have run into overheating problems at .060" over. If your engine is due for an overhaul, you might be better off to find a block that won't have to be bored so far.
Old 10-08-2002, 01:54 PM

You might try looking at 400 pistons. Measure the the bore and then compare to a 400 piston size. For example, they don't make a .070 over 400 Pontiac Piston, but you use a 428 .030 (I think) piston. Hope that helps!
Old 10-08-2002, 07:14 PM

The bottom end is freshly rebuilt with gm "x" rods and some type of .080 pistons. still have cross hatching on cylinder walls. I had some valve train failure so we tore into the motor since i had just bought the truck. I was shocked to .080 on the pistons when measuring the cylinders i found this to be accurate. We rebuilt the top end with a .450 lift 274 duration cam and hydraulic lifters. for lack of money a set of stock heads with 1.6 aluminum roller rockers. I am just curious about the quality of my pistons. To me .080 seems pretty performance oriented. Never heard of .080 cast pistons, but i also have never seen another .080 350. Mainly looking for best guesses as to what the pistons are made of. this maybe an impossible question to answer.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Several of the piston suppliers for rebuilders offer .080 pistons they are always cast and not high performance, this is just a way to save a block that otherwise would be junk. the walls are way thin and if there is any major core shift in the block, you will have problems!!! you cannot expect to make a high perf motor out of an .080 over block- just because they sellem don't mean they work. good luck BOB
Old 10-09-2002, 08:01 AM

if the cylinder walls were so thin would the engine run hot. this one does not. 3 row radiator and 180 thermostat and the engine runs constantly at 160. i drive it 40 miles daily to college never had a bit of problems. the 454 in the 68 camaro i race is .100 over. so i am pretty sure this motor is still hot rod capable. my engine man said nothing about thin walls or be carefull. is this correct.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.