Pistons and connecting rods for a 406 SBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pistons and connecting rods for a 406 SBC

Whats a good set of pistons for race/some street use in a 406 small block chevy motor? I would like to stay with pump gas and keep the price down pretty low. Probably gonna be using Dart iron eagle platinum heads, probably the 215cc size. Probably also gonna do a short fill on the block.

forgot to mention I'm thinking 5.7" rods, kinda shying away from the 6" ones due to price and some not so good things I've read on them.

thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by Laird006; 11-29-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: forgot rod length
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Do a search here for 406 build or something similar.

Myself, I'd use JE forged flat tops or possibly a small dish, depending on what I want the motor to do and what future plans might include, say a shot of nitrous, etc.

You need a goal, hp level, torque, what vehicle, trans, gear rations, tire size...

And why fill the block on a street motor? That's taking away a lot of cooling capacity.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM

I've searched everything to do with 400 and 406 here and read it all.

goals=max power with iron heads and pump gas.

torque is a big deal, but needs to be a race type motor that can be on the street some.

87 chevy 3/4 ton 4wd pickup

4:11 gears for now, will be going lower eventually. 36-44" tires, not sure yet but will gear accordingly

turbo 400 trans.

purpose mud drag racing and bog style races. possibly a little pulling every now and then.

filling the block so that this motor can be run hard and not have to be an under 5k rpm motor. its a 2 bolt main 330817 block with 2 freeze plugs in each side.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:13 PM
More for Less Racer

I short fill(bottom 1-3/4") all the 400 blocks I use also, doesn't really affect cooling as 90% of the heat is in the heads and first 1" of cylinder wall. I have no problems with them on the street with a large radiator and good pump.

For what you are doing I would look at Scat Procomp I-beam rods w/7/16 bolts, or Scat or Callies Compstar H-beams. For a crank Scat forged, Callies Compstar, the new Manley, or Howards. Probe, SRP(JE),Wiseco, or Ross for pistons, flat top or dish depending on head chamber size.

When you get to this level of pistons you also have the option of going to 5.850" rods, common in use in 410 Sprint and Modified engines, to get a longer length than 5.7" but not get into the oil ring issues associated with the 6" rod.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:47 PM

i am with the majority on this scat rods and crank 5.7
wiseco or good pistons and the cam is prob the most important
I build alot of 400s and love the low end torque
for the heads you have you should have a great set up
Old 09-28-2012, 09:44 PM

eagle scat crank and rods are decent in the less expensive end. Wiseco pistons are pretty good or anything mentioned above so far. A little solid roller cam with those heads and 10 ish compression ratio and I think you will be happy.you have to decide how hard the engine will be beaten and what kind of power you need. The price of horse power goes up quicker than the horse power figures

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.