Hot Rod Forum banner

pistons / rods

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ericnova72 
#1 · (Edited)
hi guys i recently bought a 383 from a guy here in the uk,how haa had an engine build by a third party.it has been machined as a 383 and has the crank ,rods,and pistons , on firing the motor it seems that the builder never flushed out the oil pump .as as you can see in the pictures it lightly scored the bores and the pistons , ,he only ran the motor for 20 minutes as it suffered a oil leak ,the damage was only found as a consequence of looking for the leak,
I have honed the bores which seem to be ok ,but i'm not shaw about the skirt's on the pistons advice please,also ive a query on the threa on one of the head bolts ,and can anyone identify the rods as there is no part numbers thanks guys .martin

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I agree with Tom 100%, somebody didn't do thier job properly. Before I CLEANED the helloutofit and put it back together I would mic the pistons and bores .... and any other clearances you can. There's absolutely no excuse for building an engine that way and it reflects on the persons ability to check all the clearances, might as well do it right.

Also, and no offense meant to your intelligence, you do know there's no rod bearing? I've only heard of one person doing it but he didn't install the rod bearings, I guess he found out the engine really needs them.

#5 ·
Rod is not a SCAT, they put their name on all theirs and theirs don't have that cap form anyway.

Looks like "generic" offshore (Chinese, Korean, or Australian) rod forging, sold under many different name here in the US - Falcon, Pro Power, Wheeler, Engine Pro, Star Galaxy, KMJ and others.Just fine for under 7000 rpm and about 500hp give or take. Check big and small bores for correct sizing and roundness, and correct if necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.