Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pistons and rods for sbc 350 ?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pistons and rods for sbc 350 ?

Hello guys, I'm getting ready to put together this engine I have, but I have to buy some pistons for it, I'm not sure if if should go with hypereutectic or forged pistons, dished or flat top. (does anybody know how deep dish there is in std cast dish piston) ? That's what was in the engine last time along with standard X-rods that had original rod bolt's which are the cause the engine was torn apart. It spun a rod bearing because the stock bolts could not hold the bearing tight enough at 7000 rpm's

So now I'm wondering if I should just put some Arp bolts into them original rods, or if I should buy some forged I beam rods with Arp cap screws from either Eagle or Scat.
Now I need to bore the engine 0.030" over and then I need new pistons for it as I said above, what is your recommendation in this case ?

The engine is based on a 4bolt mains block and has 235cc Rhs aluminum heads with 2.08"/1.6" valves, camshaft is comp cams solid street roller #12-769 - http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=304&sb=0
Rocker arms are 1.6 ratio comp's gold. intake manifold is now going to be Edelbrock Victor, but last time the engine was together it had Edelbrock Performer intake, headers are 1.3/4" with 18" collectors. Ignition will be taken care of by tried and true Gm hei distributor, it will have Holley 850 hp carburetor.

Last time it was together it was installed into 3000lbs car that went to the track once and ran 118 mp/h in 1/4 mile. This engine had good manifold vacuum at idle, 15in/hg at 750 rpm.

So this engine is probably making somewhat close to 400 hp as it was, with it's low compression and performer intake. And max rpm's are near 7000...

If you need some more/better information about my engine, to help me choose the right pistons and rods, please just ask.

Best regards.